Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Sleep issues: Unable to wakeup

Hello,

Just completed a built for an HTPC, and I am unable to wakeup after sleep; I lose video signal, and no response and I have to reboot the computer. I read the link below, but ensuring I have the USB pins set correctly (to +5VSB) doesn't help me.
http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx...Language=en-us
  • P5Q-EM with Vista 64 bit
  • Keyboard/mouse are wireless, but I have also tried wired; same result
  • USB pins set to +5VSB, per article above
  • Bios settings set to default settings, except for PS/2 setting, which is supposed to allow spacebar wakeup.
  • For mouse/keyboard, Device Driver is checked "wakeup with this device".
Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

P5Q-EM; Intel E8500 3.16 Ghz CPU wih Ninja mini heatsink; 2GBx2, DDR2 800; 1x250GB + 1x750 Seagate SATA 7200.11 ES2; 430W Seasonic SSII PSU; LG GGC-H20L Bluray/DVD Combo; Zalman 160+ Case; Vista 64-bit Ultimate; 46" Sony 46Z4100 DTV

Old January 12th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Hello,

Two other interesting notes: After the computer hangs up when in sleep mode, I shut the computer off and recover it, I am queried with: Select F1 to enter bios or Select F2 to use default bios settings.

Apparently the BIOS is reverting to its original state. I replaced the CMOS battery in case it was low and I still have the same problem. It was suggested overclocking may cause this, but I am not (deliberately) overclocking as I am using the default BIOS values in almost all cases. A fundamental question is why is my BIOS being altered? Hmmm.

I recently observed two cases where the computer wakes up correctly. Both times, the computer goes to sleep on its own. In all cases where I manually forced the computer into "sleep" mode, it does not recover.

Perhaps there is something different that occurs when I manually put the computer to sleep vs when it automatically goes to sleep (via power savings mode)?

Scott
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:32 AM

I now realize my problem is that I am intermittently UNABLE to enter sleep mode. If I manually press "sleep", then my computer does not go to sleep mode, but I am unable to communicate with it; effectively it "locks up." I mistook this as being asleep, but it is NOT asleep.

When the computer "timer" expires, it will, with intermittent success, move to sleep mode and provided it goes to sleep, I can wakeup the computer with a mouse click. If it does not go successfully to sleep mode, it seems to "hang up" and when I reboot, it requires the bios be either reviewed or bypassed. It is prone to these "hang ups" more frequently when I manually enter sleep mode, then when time elapses and it auotmatically goes into sleep mode.

Any suggestions?
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:13 AM

Hello,

I now realize the computer is not keeping time, even after I changed the battery. Several observations with my newly built HTPC:

1. Computer won't keep time, even with a new CMOS reset and battery replaced
2. Computer won't go into sleep mode if manually forced. It seems to "hang" and never gets to sleep mode. I have to manually reset the computer and in this case, BIOS resets to default values. I believe this is when the clock becomes corrupted.
3. If enough time elapses, computer automatically enters sleep mode and it will wakeup with keybaord button press. However, this is not always successful; see item #2.

Any comments on this? Why is my computer unable to keep time, even with a new battery?

Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Two other clues:

First, if the computer fails to go into the "sleep" state and hangs up, it continues to run; but when I restart, my computer clock is off by the amount of time it spent in the locked up state. Very interesting, especially given the computer is still powered and running. Bios settings are the default settings. The battery is new; I replaced it only yesterday. Motherboard is only 72 hrs old.

Second, if the computer remains idle and goes into the sleep state successfully, then the clock does not lose time; it powers up and retains the correct time.

Any idea how or why this happens? USB jumper settings are at their default settings and this is correct for my setup.
----------------------------------------------------------------
P5Q-EM; Intel E8500 3.16 Ghz CPU wih Ninja mini heatsink; 2GBx2, DDR2 800; 1x250GB + 1x750 Seagate SATA 7200.11 ES2; 430W Seasonic SSII PSU; LG GGC-H20L Bluray/DVD Combo; Zalman 160+ Case; Vista Ultimate, 64 bit; 46" Sony 46Z4100 DTV
----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by jsmartin22; January 13th, 2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: additional info
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Problem was actually computer wasn't going to sleep, but was "hanging up." I had two other posts on this topic as well. Might see those for reference.
Called ASUS, who is open to 9:30 PM Pacific Time (US); very knowledgable and helped solve the problem. Solution involved two changes in the BIOS settings:

Under Power Management:
Change Repost Video on S3 Resume from NO --> YES.
Change ASPI 2.0 SUpport from DISABLED --> ENABLED

This solved the problem; computer now goes to sleep and wakes up normally.

Note the hardware listed in the post above.
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:56 PM

Same issue was with my laptop before some days. But it was the only the problem of the power settings so by simple settings i got the solution but it might be some problem of the battery. So just check it out.