Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Screen tear only in games

Hello all

Firstly, I have just upgraded from vista to 7 32bit all I can say is WOW! Everything runs amazingly I have even seen a decent increase in FPS ( clean install? windows 7 driver better? who know... I'm just happy =) )

I'm just having one annoying issue with screen tear in all games in the top half of my screen , here is what I tried so far.

Ensured I have latest drivers for my gtx 260
Enabled / Disabled vsync
I have lowered the refresh rate, I can set to a max of 60mhz so have tried 59, 50.
Lowered in game resolutions
Lowered / disabled in game settings
I'm using DVI connection ( guess this is why I can only have 60hz max? )
Gaming at 1920x1080

all to no avail, at a bit of a dead end here

any help would be amazing my spec should hopefully be in my sig but please let me know of any more info you may need

Many Thanks

Old January 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM

Hey all Just thought I'd bump this one as im still having issues driving me to distraction!
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

what are your temps during gaming?
Old January 11th, 2011, 10:33 PM

Hello again MaDef

Thanks for reply

What's the best tool to monitor with?

Hopefully not running to hot, I literally turn PC on an straight into game lol! Mind you if this is the problem extra cooling is not to pricey right?

Last edited by #ELMO#; January 11th, 2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Spelling! Dam touch screens!
Old January 11th, 2011, 10:56 PM

Ok so I used speccy

Idle Temps

CPU 38
GPU 46

5 Mins Gaming

CPU 48
GPU 74

Oh dear

50 CPU
80 GPU

after ten mins!

Thanks

Had to give up for the night my boy woke up.

Also never notices till now PC gets extremely loud after awhile I mean nearly as loud as my xbox oO so I'm obviously working it hard

Last edited by #ELMO#; January 12th, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:33 AM

I usually use CCC, but I have an ATi card. I just DL msi afterburner, haven't really played with it, but so far it looks like it will monitor the video ok.

Yep you need to cool it down, use compressed air and blow all the dust from inside the pc. Make sure you get the heatsinks and fans really well (especially the video card). If you can, djust the fan speed on the video card, turn it up a bit. You may also think about adding another case fan to help with airflow.
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:34 AM

it may just be dead pixels, there is a program online to fix the pixels from being blank, i do not remember the name though, or if it will even help if you still have that problem.
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Screen tearing occurs when the video card and monitor aren't in sync (for any number of reasons with excessive heat being a common reason). Dead pixels are just that, dead. they are permanent. Stuck pixels however can be "reset" (although not always). The thing about dead/stuck pixels is that they don't move, they show up in the same spot on screen no matter what is being rendered. It's pretty easy to tell the difference.
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Screen tearing occurs when the video card and monitor aren't in sync (for any number of reasons with excessive heat being a common reason). Dead pixels are just that, dead. they are permanent. Stuck pixels however can be "reset" (although not always). The thing about dead/stuck pixels is that they don't move, they show up in the same spot on screen no matter what is being rendered. It's pretty easy to tell the difference.
good call, i see you have a lot of wisdom when it comes to computers :P or atleast monitors
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:38 AM

LOL, not really. The internet can make anybody sound smart, even me.
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
LOL, not really. The internet can make anybody sound smart, even me.
well off topic: i have a custom built machine pent 4 2.8ghz overclocked to 3ghz, and 500mb ram, runing win xp pro, should it feel laggy, cuz of the amount of ram?
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Yeah it's defo tearing, but I tell ya what even worse than a dead stick pixel...a chuffin
thunder fly squashed behind the screen just cabt shift it!!!! It hapen 3 days after I got the screen lol

my PC is pretty clean I dust it out quite alot infact had a full clean out the other day when I added more RAM.

I'll see what fans we have laying around work, we run some beefy rigs hopefully spare fans about.

Thanks all for replys!
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Slickazzshooter, you should start a thread in the xp or hardware forum, keeps confusion to a minimum. But to answer your question, yeah, 512mb is basically the minimum for running XP. I know MS calls for a bare minimum of 64mb and recommends 128mb, but in real life the more ram the better. In your case adjust visual effects for best performance, that should make XP a bit more responsive at the cost of visual effects.

#ELMO#, Looking at the elite 330, (don't know if thats your case or not) It comes with one exhaust fan, but looks like room @ the front for an intake that will blow across the HD , also the side intake (below the intake hood for cpu), should probably get one too.

That will turn the "negative pressure" case cooling into a "Positive" one. Downside is more fans + more noise, and you'll need to blow the system out a little more often.
Old January 12th, 2011, 06:00 PM

I'm sure I seen a space at the from I'll take a look when I get in, I'm thinking could the CPU funnel be blocking air flow the cpu is running at good temp sure i dint need it, also it was a tight fit between HD and GPU when I installed it wondering if maybe a bit too close.

Not too worried about noise I put up with the xbox sounding like an F1 car!
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:00 PM

I don't see a problem taking the intake hood off, just replace it with a fan.