Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:07 PM

'The connection was reset' error

'The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.'

This is the full error I'm currently experiencing.

I have noticed a few things about it that I hope can help someone to help me (I googled it and was unable to find a situation quite like mine, and none of the solutions posted helped me) including:

It is affecting all browsers (or at least IE, Firefox and Chrome)
It is seemingly completely random (no one site loads perfectly or doesnt work at all)
Refreshing once or twice loads the page without a problem, so my connection isn't 'totally' broken.

Thus far I've tried clearing all info (cookies, cache etc), turning the modem and router off and back on and disabling the windows firewall. I use AVG anti virus and have had no reports of malware lately...

I am using a Windows 7 PC and the latest version of Firefox (and Chrome when I tried it out of curiosity)

I tried another computer in my house, a laptop (mine is a desktop) and everything seemed to be working fine... HOWEVER, I also own a tablet and the tablet also flashes a 'Connection was reset' error every once in a while. It doesn't appear to affect page loading though or browsing in general (mainly happens during Youtube videos).

Thoroughly confused as to why my desktop and tablet are having these errors but a laptop on the same connection isn't.

Would anybody here have any ideas as to what might give me a fix? I use my computer a LOT and having to refresh every 3-4 pages is becoming extremely annoying. Thank you so much!

Old April 24th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

A belated welcome to CTH mickprops,

Do you still need help with this issue? Kinda strikes me of a DNS Change malware issue, so I would like to check in that area first, if help is still needed.
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:15 PM

May be Router Setting

I've been having this same issue. Just now I changed my router mode from 140Mbps to 300Mbps. So far my connection is a little snappier and I haven't seen the "connection was rest" on my browser as of yet. The problem has been happening on my laptop and desktop. Let's see how it goes!