Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:03 AM

PC Problem

Yesterday I decided to open my computer to clean up the dust. After I finished everything I pressed the power button but nothing happend. I opened it again to check the cables and I found that one of them didn't stay properly. After I finished, when I connected the power cable to the PC, it started working without me pressing anything but unfortunately it was just working nothing else. The DVD Rom wasn't working and same when I pressed the power button...nothing.Apparently the mouse, keyboard and the other connected devices seemed to be working since their lights were turned on. I started to search some help on internet but suddenly I didn't hear the PC working anymore, I pressed the power button and in turned on and worked propely for the rest of the day. But this morning I woke up with it working but same as yesterday the power button and the DVD rom aren't working, only the mouse, the keyboard and the display seem to work fine. The only way I can make it stop is to turn it off from the backside button or to take off the power cable.

Hope you can help and sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

Thank you.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:32 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
The power button on the front should only be used to turn the PC on, not turn it off (unless proper shutdown methods don't work for some reason).

To turn off your PC, either press the power button on the keyboard if it has one, or use Windows shut down menu.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Welcome to cybertech Atrium, can you post the pc specs? If you bought it retail the make and model number will be fine (example: Dell Dimension 5150). Include the OS installed (XP, Vista, windows 7, etc).

In the meantime shut the pc down, unplug it from the wall outlet and remove the side panel. Then go ahead and unplug and re-seat all the power connections from the psu to the various connections on the hardware and mainboard, make sure they are completely seated and snug (do this one connection at a time to prevent confusion). Also check any video cards, or other cards installed, as well as the data cables from the drives to the motherboard. Replace the side panel, plug the pc back into the wall and then power back up.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:02 PM

Well, thanks for the replies but unfortunately the PC stoped working at all. Probably the power suply?
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:44 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
When you took it apart to clean, did you remove any cables? There are two very small cables (wires) that run from the power button to the motherboard. If you had these off and put on back wards, it could cause your symptoms.

When you hit the power button, does the fan in the power supply turn on????
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Quote:
Well, thanks for the replies but unfortunately the PC stoped working at all. Probably the power suply
Thats hard to say without knowing the hardware specs of the system. It could be you tripped the internal breaker on the PSU. Unplug the power cord from the psu, if the psu has it's own power switch (not to be confused with the red voltage selector switch) cycle it on and off, then replace the power cord and try to power up. If the PSU doesn't have it's own power switch, unplug the power cord and hold the power switch on the front panel in for about 5 seconds, then try to power up.