Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Question Microsoft works 8.5 word processor

Hi there, I don't know if this is the right form for this question. I have scanned a form into word processor and trying to type in the blanks on this form. I might be doing something wrong but I cannot type in the blanks. The question is can I do this, if so, how?

Thank you for your time.
Michael

Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Scanners render everything into picture format unless told otherwise. So what you have now is a picture of the document you scanned.

In order for it to be a document you can edit or a form you can type on, you will need to use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software to rescan it. Most scanners include a basic OCR program on the scanner's installation disc.

If you can't find the disc, go to the scanner manufacturer's website and see if you can find their OCR software for download.

Once you have the OCR program installed, open it and read its Help files to get you started.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:53 PM

O/S: Linux
Alternatively, if your objective is just to print the completed form, you can insert text boxes over top of the fields in the image and type into the text box.
So the scanned form is a background image and each fillable field has a text box floating over their relative place in the image.
Make the text boxes transparent and borderless and you shouldn't be able to tell on the resulting printed document.
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:59 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
"Alternatively, if your objective is just to print the completed form, you can insert text boxes over top of the fields in the image"

I don't think the Works word processor will enable the OP do that as it's usually only Desktop Publishing software which has a tool to create text boxes.
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:07 AM

O/S: Linux
Word or Works 8.5 WP have floating text box capability. I know 8.5 and above removed word art and Draw functionality but a couple of questions on Microsoft.com e.g. indicate text boxes are still present in this version.

Granted it's not the best way to do it, but it does work.
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Smile Windows Works 8.5

Thanks to all who replied to my posting. Your information helped out a lot. I solve my problem I found the OCR and used it. Thank you again