Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

PCI-E x16 graphics card

I'm trying to locate a PCI-E x16 card that isn't low profile, and as cheap as possible. Just for regular pc use on a system that took a lightning hit through the phone line - took out the ethernet, and dropped the red out of the onboard graphics display. Most I find that are cheap all seem to be preset low profile.

Old May 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

So go with a PCI-e 2.0 or 2.1 card, they are backwards compatible with the 1.0 standard. you can track down an Nvidia 430 for about 50-60 dollars.

The other question is, what is the aversion to low profile cards? if you aren't doing high end gaming, video rendering, or have a multiple monitor setup, a low profile card should be more than enough for general everyday use.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:19 AM

Great tip MaDef - picked up a Nvidia 430 for $50, free shipping.

Low profile won't fit in this normal sized system, and all of the cards I was hitting were preset low profile. So I assumed no adapter plate to normal-size them.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi Tom
Can you post a link for the Nvidia 430 that you found? I'd like to take a look at it.
Thanks.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:47 AM

Good (maybe not always) old Ebay IPR512. Just had to balance the cost and the shipping, though most of the cheapest ones still run $50 or over.
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks Tom. I'm wondering if I would be able to use that in my system even though my video card is working. I'd like to get something with more memory.
Would you or MaDef be able to advise me on that?
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:22 AM

Truly let MaDef or others here suggest ideas for that.
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks again Tom. I must be nuts for even thinking about changing the video card, I was just looking at what I paid for the card I have now that I bought in 2007. $209.
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Low profile won't fit in this normal sized system, and all of the cards I was hitting were preset low profile. So I assumed no adapter plate to normal-size them.
I see, what you needed then was a low profile ready card, they usually come with a standard bracket, then if you need to put them in a slim-line type case, you just need to get the smaller bracket. (hopefully that made sense)
IPR512, what's your price range, PSU size, and what do you use the system for. ie: video watching, gaming, general usage? The 1gig 430 should be enough to watch videos and do a bit of light gaming at playable frame rates on low/medium settings.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
I see, what you needed then was a low profile ready card, they usually come with a standard bracket, then if you need to put them in a slim-line type case, you just need to get the smaller bracket. (hopefully that made sense)
IPR512, what's your price range, PSU size, and what do you use the system for. ie: video watching, gaming, general usage? The 1gig 430 should be enough to watch videos and do a bit of light gaming at playable frame rates on low/medium settings.

Thanks for the reply.
My computer specs are listed in my signature. This computer was built by a friend for me in 2007. I have upgraded it to where it's at now.
There's really nothing wrong with my present video card, because I don't do any gaming, but I do tinker with amateur photography. I make slideshows mainly, and recently posted one on You Tube. Other than the usual web browsing, e-mail etc. that's all that I do with this computer. As I mentioned to Tom the video card I have now cost $209 back in 2007, and it has served me well so I don't know if I really need to pour more money into this computer. If I did I would probably not want to spend more than $50 right now. I realize though that video cards can get expensive, and most times you get what you pay for.
Bottom line is: Do you think I need a new video card?
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:17 PM

I saw your specs just don't see a psu listed, (didn't want to suggest something that would push the psu too far). You really don't need a video card for your use, newer cards do allow for onboard video rendering (taking the load off the cpu), but unless you convert a lot of videos, there's really no point. Back when it was released the 8600 was considered a mainstream gaming card from Nvidia and should be fine.

Quote:
As I mentioned to Tom the video card I have now cost $209 back in 2007,
I know what you mean, back then I bought 2 3870's @ 269$ apiece, you can now pick them up on ebay for about 50$. When i updated to my 6870 last year I split them up and put them in two different HTPC's and they work just fine.

Quote:
Bottom line is: Do you think I need a new video card?
Nope, If anything, you would get a better performance boost by adding an SSD (although they are still pricey compared to mechanical drives) and putting the OS and your programs on it and use the others for your storage.
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:17 PM
CTH Subscriber

I recently had to install a 700 watt power supply.
You made up my mind for me. I'll save the money I would've spent for a video card, and put it toward something else that I probably don't really need, but really want.
Thanks for your help. Have a great day.
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:11 PM

Sounds good.
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM

IPR512

I concur with MaDef on the card, the 8600 is a great card, although like anything else outdated, but so what. 512MB memory can be increased at a cost but your running 6GB RAM so the video card is not taxed for what you do.

Your mobo can take PC2-6400 or PC2-8500, your currently running PC2-6400 at DDR2-800. PC2-8500 runs at DDR2-1066.

Your Front Side Bus for that board is either 1333 or 1066Mhz and the processor your running is at 1333Mhz so you could upgrade to DDR2-8500 but I don't think you would see any signifanct performance improvement.

If your looking for upgrades and don't have one, get a second Monitor, that card supports it.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks for all the info Murf.
I bought a new camera yesterday so I'm going to hold off on non essentials for the time being. Down the road maybe a larger monitor would be nice as this one is an old HP 19 inch.