Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old October 18th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Errr, I was not very clear with that. Most monitors do indeed have multiple inputs. But typically, monitors are intended to be used full time using a single input "source" - that is, the computer's graphics solution. Even if viewing a DVD/Blu-ray on the computer, the monitor uses that single input source. You don't normally tell the monitor to switch sources.

TVs, on the other hand are typically used in setups where there are multiple "sources" (antenna, cable, game console, streamer, DVD/Blu-ray, etc.) and it is not uncommon to regularly tell the TV to switch between those sources.

Sorry if I caused any confusion there.
No, I understood your use of Input sources and I still call - nope.
Modern multi-input monitors are designed to be able to have two or more sources connected and to be able to switch between them just like TVs. In fact the chief complaint in reviews of my Philips 43" is the control to switch inputs is in an awkward position and not easily accessible to quickly change inputs, so I'm clearly not alone in my need to be able to do so quickly and easily.

It has been a very long time since I had a PC monitor that only had one device connected to it.

As soon as monitors started having HDMI or Displayport inputs, the idea that they were for computers only went flying out the window.
Any device with HDMI output can use a PC monitor these days...

In fact, I would say I switch sources more often on my monitors than I do on my TV. My DVD player, Playstation3, Digital TV HDR STB, Kodi media player PC were all plugged into a home theater receiver (upscaling the non HDMI inputs to the HDMI output) and sent to one HDMI input on the TV. None of these needed a TV with a built in tuner, just a PC monitor with an HDMI input.

Old October 18th, 2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Modern multi-input monitors are designed to be able to have two or more sources connected and to be able to switch between them just like TVs.
No, sorry. They are not just like TVs. "Some" monitors may be, but not the majority.

While I agree virtually every monitor accepts more than one input, with a TV, you press one clearly labeled button (typically on a remote which most monitors don't have) and you can cycle through the various inputs - often with PiP (picture in picture).

"Most" computer monitors do NOT have a input source button readily accessible on the front bezel. You have to go through the menu options. Why? Because again, computer monitors are typically intended for use with a single source input.

Please note I said in my clarification and just above, "typically" monitors are "intended" to be used with a single source (the computer's graphics card). Just because a device is "designed" to support various options, that does not suggest the "typical" "intended" purpose.

If you have multiple sources (graphics card, DVD player, Playstation, etc.) connected to your computer monitors, you definitely are not a typical computer user.

Now if you are using a TV as a computer monitor, that is a different scenario altogether and not what we, or I am talking about here.

Quote:
None of these needed a TV with a built in tuner, just a PC monitor with an HDMI input.
Not the point at all. In fact, this suggests some confusion. A "monitor" with a built in tuner is a TV.

So a "TV with a built in tuner" does not really make sense. A TV without a tuner is not a TV, its just a monitor.

So again, I am talking about the typical user, typical PC setup with a typical computer "monitor". The monitor may support HDMI, D-Sub, DVI, and DisplayPort inputs, but it typically is used with just one source.