Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM

lsass.exe- The endpoint format is invalid

Hi all. I apologize if this is a repost in any form.

I am looking for help regarding an issue that has prevented me from loggin on to Windows XP. AT startup I get an error that says "lsass.exe-The endpoint format is invalid". I have tried to start up my PC in every mode offered by the 'Windows advanced option mode' including safe mode,last known good configuration and the likes and I still get this error. I have searched the internet for help and the general response is to start up in safe mode but I cannot access this. Would anyone be able to help me out. I have been able to handle most of the PC problems i have encountered so far. but this one is a tuff one.

Any help is appreciated

Old October 1st, 2006, 06:35 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
well I hope this helps at least it identifies what it does and where it resides on your computer.

www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsass.exe.html

"What is lsass.exe? Is lsass.exe spyware or a virus? Process name: Local security authentication server

Product: Windows

Company: Microsoft

File: lsass.exe

Security Rating: "lsass.exe" is the Local Security Authentication Server. It verifies the validity of user logons to your PC/Server. It generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service. This process is performed by using authentication packages such as the default Msgina.dll. If authentication is successful, Lsass generates the user's access token, which is used to launch the initial shell. Other processes that the user initiates inherit this token. More info
Note: The lsass.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. In other cases, lsass.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm! Check this with Security Task Manager. "
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:41 PM

Thank you DJ. Did some more research and found it is quite difficult to tell if it is a lsass.exe or Isass.exe prob. Being that I cannot actually log into to Windows maybe it's safe to assume that it is an lsass.exe issue. Anyone know of a way to bypass recieving this error and load up windows so I can troubleshoot from there? I can't boot up in safe mode as I get the same error.

Thanx much!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:49 PM

Think it might help if I mention I run XP SP2. I do not have much on my HD so I am open to doing a recovery. I have the Recovery CD that came with the computer. Being custom built it did not come with a manual of sorts.