Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:15 AM

Remote Management with tp-link TL-R402M router

I think that I have followed the instructions given by the documentation for remote management, but when I attempt to access this router from outside my LAN, it doesn't respond. I have attempted to use port 8080 & 8000, but neither help.

I have googled my self until I am blue in the face, but don't find anyone with this problem.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

jcj

Old February 12th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Are you using your public IP address when trying to access the router (not 192.168...)?
I don't know this router, but you may have to make sure that the firewall on it allows access to the port the management console is trying to use.
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Question. Are you using your public IP address when trying to access the router (not 192.168...)?
Ans. Yes 24.199.x.x

statement = I don't know this router, but you may have to make sure that the firewall on it allows access to the port the management console is trying to use.

Ans. Although the router instructions didn't state that, I have done so in an effort to get remote management working. Still no work.

jcj
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Have you tried running a security port scan on your public IP? It should show the open port. See http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/ or https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 for example.
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried grc, plus nmap and neither shows the remote management port as being open.

Funny thing, another port used for cpanel ( which is working ) doesn't show on the scan as well.

More information -- and more puzzles.

Thanks again.
jcj
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:00 AM

You know what, it just occurred to me that some ISPs block common server ports incoming to residential services. Can you change the port that the router admin console listens on? If so try an oddball port like 4729.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:22 PM

In the case of my ISP, I am paying extra for "no blocking". I will, however, contact them regarding this, since the cable modem is their's and I can't change any of it's settings.

jcj