Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:58 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Post XP professional problem

When I turn on my computer, it boots up & comes on with a black screen with,

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. <Winnt_root>\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I do not have an XP disk of any kind and tried to get one from bootdisk over a week ago and still haven't got my URL for me to download yet.
Any suggestions without cleaning out my hard drive?

Have pictures, programs, and documents that can not be replaced.
Thanks for any help!
Dee K

Old January 22nd, 2017, 04:36 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
http://pcriver.com/operating-systems...-iso-download/
Old January 23rd, 2017, 08:42 PM

Post Thank you for your quick response!

I am going to try and do this with my flash-drive? Just change the boot-up options? Correct? Will I be able to keep my pictures, programs, and documents?
Dee Kay
Old January 23rd, 2017, 08:52 PM

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option

?
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:05 PM

Dee Kay: If you have not fixed your computer, send me a message at luzchurch/gmail.
Old February 27th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzchurch View Post
Dee Kay: If you have not fixed your computer, send me a message at luzchurch/gmail
Hi Luzchurch
Just a heads up for you. If I were you I wouldn't post my e-mail address on a forum, because there are lots of spammers trolling sites, and before you know it everybody in the world will have your e-mail address.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:54 PM

Try this fix first:
https://neosmart.net/wiki/hal-dll-missing-corrupt/
Fix #4: Use Startup Repair to attempt HAL replacement.

The Langa Letter non-destructive reinstall will replace all your system files with the ones on the disk you use. Even if the iso or disk you acquire is SP3, you will have around 200 critical updates to re-download. The good part about doing this is you end up with the equivalent of a fresh install and your system may be more responsive than it was before the reinstall.
If by chance you do not use this PC online (XP is out of date and not secure online these days) you don't have to worry about the critical updates as much as you would if you were using it to browse the net. But I would recommend at least SP1 or SP2 since they fix issues with the system as well as critical flaws..

Last edited by Appzalien; March 3rd, 2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:30 PM

No luck yet? I wrote a g-mail
I am having a very perplexing problem! I wonder if you might shed some light on my darkened moments? I have been working on my computer, Windows XP Pro, for a while now, trying to get her up and running.
On a black screen, top left, it states the following, "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file." I have searched and searched, trying different things trying to figure out how to fix her. I tried an XP Pro boot.ini on a floppy, but I downloaded it from my vista laptop. I tried to download vista onto the XP hard-drive, to give her a new look. But that does not work? I can not even get in to format the hard-drive, which I really don't want to do, because of loss of info.
The "A" drive works well and so does the CD. I am totally stumped! Any help or suggestions you might have to assist me would be greatly appreciated! And oh by the way, you might have guessed by now, I didn't make a start-up disk for XP Pro. Not so sure if would have helped or not, but, maybe you can let me know that also?
Believe me, my little girl, "vista" and I have been doing a LOT of internet searching to find out how to fix her mom!
Thanks
Dee Kay
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:45 PM

Before the Windows XP installation routine start installing Windows, it examines the hardware in the computer and then builds a HAL.DLL for that specific computer. If you don't have a backup copy of that file, you'll need to start the installation routine again so Windows can build another one for you.

If you don't have a Windows XP installation CD, you'll need to either borrow or buy one. If the Windows XP Product Key is on a sticker on the computer somewhere, it would be cheaper to borrow a Windows XP CD from a friend.