Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old September 12th, 2017, 10:25 AM

lost USB port

My fairly old computer working on WinXP has six USB ports – four of them on the back panel, two in front. Some days ago one of the USB ports on the back ceased to connect to the net.
Please advise how to check if this may be a problem of the soft- or hardware, and if there is a way to establish the connection from this port again.
I have Priform’s Speccy installed and I can send info from this program if necessary.
Thanks
idr

Old September 23rd, 2017, 05:15 PM

Ceased to connect to the net? Why would you use a USB port to connect to the internet? First check in Device Manager to see if you have any problems marked for USB. It's unlikely that you would have just one slot fail from that though. The back ports are connected directly to the motherboard so if a ports connection was compromised (bad solder joint cracked joint or board or even a bent pin inside) It could cause just one port to fail. If you require more ports than you have available consider a powered USB hub connected to a back port that's OK. You can always examine the port that's failing using a magnifying glass and a flash light to get a good look inside, that has helped me in the past when I found one of the back plates metal tabs ended up inside the top port of one of the metal boxes when I mounted the motherboard. Of course that was a build it yourself issue not OEM. You can also try cleaning the contacts with a little piece of folded sandpaper and afterwords blow it out with canned air to remove any debris.

Last edited by Appzalien; September 23rd, 2017 at 05:28 PM.