Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Topic Tools
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:52 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
How to disable SSL/TLS in mail client?

I have an Avast warning that a secure connection from my mail programme (process wlmail.exe) to the IMAP server 209.85.143.109(209.85.143.109).I must disable the SSL/TLS in my mail client so Mail scanner can scan my mail.The mail scanner will provide the SSL/TLS scanner itself.
I have Onetel and also Gmail as email addresses and these are sent to Windows Live and I read them from there.I don't know who my mail client is,is it Onetel and also Gmail and if so how do I disable SSL/TLS in my mail client.I have no idea where to start

Old September 1st, 2011, 12:42 AM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

Hello lcyber,

Best guess is disabling those secure connection settings would have to be done in your browser(s). But before walking that path, your email providers already use their own scans to check each email that comes through their servers. I have used Avast on a few systems without having it scan email, and have never run into any nefarious emails getting past that, or Avast itself, should an opened email start acting up. Unfortunate that the lighter-weight antivirus programs seem determined to attempt to be the end-all, do-all of system security programs like the older Norton/McAfee etc. dinosaurs. But in this instance, maybe you would just be better off disabling whatever function requires disabling SSL/TLS secure connections instead.