Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 6th, 2017, 02:46 AM

hard drive clone

Recently I purchased a Crucial SSD drive. After installing this drive and loading win 7 64 Ultimate, and all my programs, I decided to create a backup "clone" of this drive in case of failure.

To do so, I used a WD 320 gig HHD and I connected it via a SATA to USB external powered adapter. During the course of selecting source and destination,

somewhere along the line just after selecting MBR, windows disk manager asked me to name a drive letter.

I chose "Don't assign a drive letter". I assumed that after the clone, it would automatically be seen as "C". Is that correct? And if not, what should I do to correct this so I can be sure this will be a bootable drive.

BTW, the reasoning I had for not naming the drive "C" is because I thought there might be an issue with two "C" drives on the system.

Which, brings me to the next question. Assuming the clone is successful, I'll reboot my computer as normal, reconnect the USB WD 320 via that same SATA to USB powered adapter, and read it in windows explorer. What is it going to say for drive letter in Windows Explorer? Will there be two Cs?

Will it automatically assume the next available drive letter, and ... if

so, will that letter stick to it and subsequently make the drive not bootable? If not, then should the SSD go bad and I replace it with the backup WD HD, and reboot, how will the computer know it is the bootable "C" drive?

Thanks!

Last edited by Jj4cL; January 6th, 2017 at 04:21 AM.

Old January 6th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
what cloning software?
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
what cloning software?
Dan. Not my field of expertise but I am sure that HD cloning is available to Linux users
Old January 6th, 2017, 07:55 PM

Sorry, it was the Acronis software that came with the crucial SSD. I went for it last night and learned two things.

First, Acronis does not like ASRock motherboards when the bios is set in the northbridge setup for "enabled IGD multi monitors". Once Acronis called for reboot, it came up to a black screen with the "loading Acronis" and then ..... black screen ... nothing.

I found a video on youtube using my other computer that explained this existing problem, so I let it run for 2 hrs. before giving up. Here is the link to that video.

I reset the bios, tried again, and this time no problem with the user interface of Acronis but I got an error with the drive.

I also have a hot swap bay, and I hooked the drive up directly to the sata and I got it to work.

Last edited by Jj4cL; January 6th, 2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Certifiable Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
Dan. Not my field of expertise but I am sure that HD cloning is available to Linux users
huh?????? think you read the post wrong or I did...
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Certifiable Bum

so for clarification, you got things sorted?
Old January 7th, 2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
huh?????? think you read the post wrong or I did...
I think you are right Dan.......
Old January 7th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

Jj4cL,

As the computer boots up, let's say you are booting from your internal hard drive, it will assign drive letters to any other drives it picks up, so no worries about two C's. Boot from the external drive, it will reassign the internal drive.