Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 10th, 2017, 04:39 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
What the heck is up with climate change???

I've been in Oregon for about 17 years now.

Most winters are really mild here. Which has been one reason I like it. Temperatures may drop to the upper-20s/low-30s overnight at worst and are most often in the mid-40s/mid-50s during the day. Some winters we get rain... constantly.... between November and April... like 6 days of rain, 1 day off... repeat. But it's never really that cold.

Up to last week the MOST snow I've seen in nearly 20 years.... is about 1/8 MAYBE 1/4 of an inch which fell overnight... and then all melted off the roads by 10am... and melted off everywhere by noon/1pm.

This past week has been ridiculous, however.

Last week over the course of 4 days we got approximately 10 inches of snow. Heavy packed snow. Unheard of.... So it passed and Friday was relatively dry, but too cold to melt anything...My driveway gets no direct sun until late afternoon.. so nothing melted in 3 days... I had to shovel it all off on Friday. then Saturday and Sunday we got rain, which helped melt much of the now snow-packed ice that had formed.... Still much colder than I've seen before here. And then this afternoon around 4 we get another inch or two of snow... which then turned into rain by 6pm. (yeah it'll be ice in an hour or two).

What the heck????

I grew up in Colorado, so dealing with snow is something I know how to handle. The thing is it's been nearly 2 decades and I've never even had a HINT that I'd see this much snow here. So, naturally I've gotten rid of or never bothered to purchase things for snow.. like a shovel... ice melters.. gloves... boots... Heck I bought a 2 wheel, rear wheel drive, pick up 5 years ago.. something I would have NEVER done if I intended to ever drive in snow. I can't even get up my driveway unless it's been cleared first.. I'll just slide back into the street. And the driveway only has maybe a 10%-15% grade.

So to all those that think climate change is slow and not really a problem... well... I'm seeing stark, obvious evidence of it this past week.

Anyone remember the movie "The Day After Tomorrow"... I'm expecting to hunker down in a public Library and burn books to survive.. oh wait... there are no more Libraries.. .. I'm doomed.

Old January 10th, 2017, 05:58 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I'm doomed.
No he's in Belgium without the ed and you forgot his first name JT. You're Buzz, no first name and no ed.

But I have to agree the climate is crazy, down in Antarctica part of the ice shelf is about to break off which will result in a 2,000 sq mile iceberg, 1000 feet thick. see details the result when it melts will be the sea level will rise by 4 inches.

Talk about crazy.
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
weather goes in cycles might be decades or even centuries apart but there are cycles. going to have good years, going to have bad ones.

on a side note, right now we are getting a lot of wind. the big pile of leaves I raked last week that was to be picked up today is now an extremely small pile and the yard will have to be raked again. cottin pickin wind....

Last edited by renegade600; January 10th, 2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old January 11th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Sorry, but I've seen cycles. 15+ years and only ever seeing 1/4" of snow.. then nearly a foot in a week suddenly doesn't seem like a cycle to me. It's not like I'm 22 years old and haven't been around, I have. Never seen a "cycle" this extreme. Perhaps I haven't expressed just how rare the snow was here. The climate is really moderate. Even just cold air below 35 is rare.
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
We had 18 inches of light fluffy snow over the weekend. Last night temps went down to 6F, now at 12.30 pm it's 56F!!

I keep watching to see if PBS Newshour has found a way of blaming Trump for all this! <-------------Sorry, couldn't help myself!
Old January 12th, 2017, 12:50 AM

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
I keep watching to see if PBS Newshour has found a way of blaming Trump for all this! <-------------Sorry, couldn't help myself!
I Knew that crafty sod was up to something....
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:32 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra
a way of blaming Trump for all this
Not at all, it isn't happening, Mr Trump said so, see The Business Insider

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; January 12th, 2017 at 06:38 PM.