Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Topic Tools
Old December 24th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
n600 vs ac1900

I get a bit confused when it comes to router usage - especially after doing the google thing. For whatever reason, getting an ac1900 router has been eating at my gut for the past few months. I currently have a n600 (4 year old, netgear wndr3700v2) router for my small 2 br apartment.

I have three computers with two using wifi, two tablets, a couple of smartphones, three echos, philips hue, wink, around 6 wemo switches and around 15 connected bulbs, wifi dvd player and a few other devices I am forgetting about...

As far as I know I do not have any speed problems, no connection problems, or any known issues.

I am wondering if there would be any advantages in getting a netgear nighthawk ac1900 router. I am trying to stop the urge of getting it everytime I am in walmart.

thanks

Old January 4th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
broke down and went ahead and got the nighthawk. No problems setting it up, used the same ssid and passwords as I had on the old and reset a few connected home devices and it seemed to work pretty good.

However
I found the signal strength was not that good, my dropcam did not work (found this out a couple days later), it keep dropping the wink hub and a few other issues. Tried a lot of fixes found through their forums, help sections and more. Finally said heck with it. Returned it to walmart yesterday just before their return period expires for that device. Plugged in my old router and everything was immediately back to normal. the old n600 did not even hold a grudge against me for trying to replace it. my connected apartment is now connected again.

at least it is not eating at my gut anymore - the zenbo is - good thing it is not released yet :-)