Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:59 PM

Recovery Manager Missing

Hi guys,

I have just brought a second hand HP Pavilion dv7-4285dx entertainment laptop and I am wanting to do a factory reset. I tried the f11 fucntion when windows starts up but it doesnt work, windows just opens up as normal. I have pressed the start key to look for recovery manager but it doesnt come up. I did a little digging and located the application but when i try to install it its comes up harddick.dll missing. Can anyone help. Im Running windows 7

Old May 12th, 2017, 03:33 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Since you bought second hand, maybe there is no recovery partition as previously someone wiped it. Check to make sure it is there.

Right click on "My Computer" then to "Manage", then Disk Management

At the top right side it will list your drives. Do you see anything that says Recovery? Or something that does not have a drive letter?
Old May 12th, 2017, 04:33 PM

Just a note about pressing the F11 during boot. I know when I try to access safe mode with the F8 key it can be tricky to know just when to click the key to get to the safe mode screen. So what I do is repeatedly press the key from the very start like once every half second or so and let the system detect the pressing of the key. I don't have a system with a recovery partition so I can't tell you that's what's happening with F11 but it's worth a try.
Old May 12th, 2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks guys for your advice. I ended up getting microsoft to log in and do a clean reset