Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:16 PM

Question Returning to Win7 ?

Hi,

my desktop PC came with Win7 installed. I have the original Win7 CD with the product key.
Win10 has upgraded me some time ago without my intention. It's running ok, but this pc is used mainly or Flightsim10. Win7 seems to work better with it.

My question: Can I re-install Win7 back on my HDD without having to reformat my drive?
Eventually, I am planning to update the MOBO and Video Card.
Would it be possible to keep the original Win7 system after updating some of the hardware?
Thank in advance for any suggestions.

Old July 17th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
you will not be able to reinstall win7 if you upgrade the motherboard. it would violate microsofts license. if you want win 7, you will have to purchase a new win7.
Old July 17th, 2017, 11:55 PM

Thank you renegade600, for letting me know in advance.!
Old July 18th, 2017, 04:58 AM

I meant to ask one more question....
Can I re-install Win7 over Win10? I guess that it would probably uninstall Win10 automatically before re-installing Win7.
This PC is used mostly for Flightsim 10 and has a ton of 3. party add-ons on the HDD.
Would I lose all of those files? Do I have to back everything up on a different drive?
Again, I will appreciate your input very much.
Old July 18th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
if the win7 is the original that came with that computer, it will do a clean install. you will lose all of your personal files and installed programs. you need to backup anything you do not want to lose.
Old July 19th, 2017, 04:13 AM

Thank you for your help!
Old July 19th, 2017, 07:26 PM

For some time now there are so many recommendations about backing up your system with a full drive image. If you had been doing regular image backups say every month or so you would have the option to go back in time and lose only those items added since the last backup. If you find a way to get back to Win7, I suggest you turn off automatic updates and do them manually. That way you can avoid the same predicament. At the least you should set MS backups to download but ask before they're installed. Unfortunately MS has stopped listing individual critical updates in favor of roll-ups making it impossible for consumers to choose what they want. I guess they think no one will have the guts to switch to Linux or Mac or something and they think they can do whatever they want with no repercussions. Their arrogance is astounding.