Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 3rd, 2017, 04:59 PM

One day in 2015 I noticed this file called ________.__- in my system directory.... The file is 0kb and DOES NOT SHOW UP IN DOS!! (The file doesnt exist)

I cant delete it as the computer thinks it doesnt exist.....

I have thought about copying the whole system directory to another folder and then renaming it SYSTEM but I noticed some stuff wont copy over so i aborted trying......

I just looked @ the file again yesterday and I cant get rid of it!!!!!!

Anyone know how??? It shows up in Windows search but not dos... -- I can create another file with the same name using notepad but I can then only delete the one I created,the other one stays there!!

I dunno how it got there if it doesnt have a DOS pointer!!

Im just curious any tricks I can try to get this 'Orphaned' entry assigned and then deleted??

Last edited by The Dude; July 3rd, 2017 at 05:02 PM.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:23 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
if you had it since 2015 and nothing has happened, then there is nothing to worry about. If it is not recognized as a file there really is not much you can do - maybe something you have installed needs it.
Old July 4th, 2017, 02:32 AM

I dunno.........I havent installed anything really........ Its just very strange!!

Thanx renegade
Old July 30th, 2017, 04:17 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Right click the file then to Properties, see if it is read only, may not have permission to delete it.
Old July 31st, 2017, 03:51 AM

Nope nothing is set on the file.......If I try to set something it removes it.......

If I try to delete,rename,move it says CANNOT delete,rename,MOVE FILE ... File system error 1026

I could try and work with this entry in WINFILE but it doesnt show up there!! (It only shows up in windows (dos,etc that place marker doesnt exist in the system directory))

It would be like a thread being created on a site and then MOVED TO A DIFFERENT BASE and then deleted...... The redirect would then go nowhere (Except you CAN delete orphaned entries like that usually on a site)
Old August 3rd, 2017, 06:37 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I had one of those years ago, I did manage to get rid of it eventually, but I can't remember what worked. I know I tried renaming it, booting with a linux disk etc, but it was too long ago, and my brain doesn't work as well at remembering little details these days.

Good luck, tell us what works.
Old August 4th, 2017, 05:12 AM

Thank you Ned!!!!!

Its a pesky little thing lemme tell ya!