Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 8th, 2017, 04:04 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Two hardrives in desktop

I have two desktop towers one has Win7 OS installed, the other one has Win10 OS installed.
What I would like to find out is, can I take the Win10 HDD out of the tower and install it in the Win7 tower, so that I have two hard drives in the one tower.
Would putting the Win10 HDD in with the Win7 tower cause any problems, and how would I stand with formatting? and when connected would it just start up as normal.
Many thanks.
Peter.

Old July 9th, 2017, 01:19 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
as long as you wire it properly, you should have no problems installing the second drive. it would startup normally, then you can format the drive you installed since it would be an illegal os if it came with the original computer.

once the drive is installed properly formatted, the computer should see it as another drive. you should be able to access it just like you would a usb drive.
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:16 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Well I have removed the HDD with Win10 on it from the other PC and installed it in the PC with Win 7 on it, and this has been successful for a novice like myself.
But what I was trying to ascertain was running the two hard drives in the one PC with Win 7 and Win 10, I wanted to know if the loaded hard drive with the Win 10 OS already installed on it would come alive and it appears not as the PC is telling me I have to format it which would be no good as formatting would erase everything.
So can anyone tell me if this is an impossible task and I should quit or if there is a way to to make the Win 10 HDD come alive, as I do not have the means to reinstall Win 10, or should I put the Win 10 HDD back into the other PC and would it still recognise it ? and perhaps call it a day, hope this make sense, many thanks.
Peter.
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Certifiable Bum

as I said in my previous post, you will have to format the drive because you cannot legally use win10 in that computer per microsofts oem license. your computer should see the drive so you can copy your files you want to save over to the win7 drive before formating. If you want to keep win10, you need to put it back in the original computer.
Old July 19th, 2017, 07:56 PM

"how would I stand with formatting?" Do you mean as mentioned above that you would be erasing the drive to use on the Win7 tower, or do you mean will the Win10 format be compatible with the Win7 system (both ntfs 64bit)? If for instance your Win10 tower were to have a motherboard failure and become useless, you certainly could take the drive out and put it in another PC and still have the data saved on it intact but any installed programs on it might not work since the new machine has no registry entries for the app in question and the placement of document items could be different as well. One thing you have to take into consideration is that older OS's do not necessarily recognize the newer one since in your case win10 did not exist when Win7 was created. But because many recent Win7 updates were about Win10 since MS was trying to force Win7 users to change to Win10, it may actually be recognized. If that's the case you might be able to dual boot if you do not want to format out the Win10 drive. Now for the gotcha. You will end up with a tower with no drive just sitting there. Why not buy an OEM version of Win7 to install on that system and continue to have two towers? Especially if your intent is to format out the Win10 drive anyway.
Old July 19th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Certifiable Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
"how would I stand with formatting?" Do you mean as mentioned above that you would be erasing the drive to use on the Win7 tower, or do you mean will the Win10 format be compatible with the Win7 system (both ntfs 64bit)? If for instance your Win10 tower were to have a motherboard failure and become useless, you certainly could take the drive out and put it in another PC and still have the data saved on it intact but any installed programs on it might not work since the new machine has no registry entries for the app in question and the placement of document items could be different as well. One thing you have to take into consideration is that older OS's do not necessarily recognize the newer one since in your case win10 did not exist when Win7 was created. But because many recent Win7 updates were about Win10 since MS was trying to force Win7 users to change to Win10, it may actually be recognized. If that's the case you might be able to dual boot if you do not want to format out the Win10 drive. Now for the gotcha. You will end up with a tower with no drive just sitting there. Why not buy an OEM version of Win7 to install on that system and continue to have two towers? Especially if your intent is to format out the Win10 drive anyway.
you are giving bad info - you cannot move oem win10 from one computer to another so dual boot is out. you can only buy an oem win7 if the motherboard is replaced. it is then considered a new computer. new oem can only legally be used in a new computer than never had another os installed on it.
Old July 20th, 2017, 09:12 PM

Your right. I wasn't thinking OEM when I made the comment about dual booting since I have never owned an OEM system. I just assumed they were home built like mine. My mistake. But other than the dual boot comment it should not stop him from adding the drive as a secondary in the Win7 machine.