Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Macintosh, iPhone and iPad

Notices

Topic Tools
Old October 28th, 2006, 12:01 AM

Angry Locked iTunes?!

Okay. So I've been having iPod issues lately (as usual), so I decided to restore my iPod using iTunes. Before I could restore the iPod, I had to enter the Administrator's password and whatnot, so I did. The iPod took forfreakingever to restore so I quit iTunes. WELL. The next time I went to open up iTunes it said these exact words: "The iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file." I keep trying to open iTunes and this is the only message I get, without iTunes actually opening. Does anyone know what this is all about and how I can fix it?!? I'm going through music withdrawal here, and it's killing me. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Old October 28th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Repair permissions
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:25 AM

"iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have..."

The same thing just happened to me tonight. I was uploading itunes purchases when the program crashed. After restarting my computer I received "The iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file."

Any suggestions?
Old November 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Unhappy iTunes,locked Disk

I, having same problum,started when i downloaded new update iTunes 7.0 ??? I uninstalled 7.0 & reinstalled 6.0 Still same,Locled Disk ???? Help !!!
Old November 12th, 2006, 08:38 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
I think that you corrupted your drive, its never a good thing to quit out of something when its doing something.

like saving a file, if you quit halfway, the file is corrupted and might display things that wouldnt normally display
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM

Try this. Got it somewhere else and always works for me.

1. Copy ‘iTunes 4 Music Library’ and ‘iTunes Music Library.xml’ out of your Music/iTunes folder. Put them on your Desktop.

2. Delete those two files from your Music/iTunes folder. Now the only thing in there will be your ‘iTunes Music’ folder (unless you keep that somewhere else, of course).

3. Start iTunes. It opens up empty. Now quit iTunes. Notice it has created new, empty ‘iTunes 4 Music Library’ and ‘iTunes Music Library.xml’ files.

4. Delete those new files. Copy your old files from your Desktop back into your Music/iTunes folder.

5. Start iTunes again. Presto! Everything’s back to normal!
Old December 20th, 2006, 02:23 AM

Locked/unlocked!

Hey Tuner,
Worked like a charm. What a relief- you know that feeling?
However I had and now have several copies of different iTunes Library, and iTunes Library xml, and itunes 4 music etc. Do you know which ones I need to stay up and running and which to trash?
Thank you!
Buzz
ps- i fix guitars, if you need any help
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Easier solution to locked library file

1. Open your music library and find the following files.

iTunes Music Library.xml
iTunes Library.itl

2. For both files:

Right click on the file name.
Select properties
On the attributes pane, uncheck "read only" box.
Click OK

This worked for me.
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I have a question...

I have a question:

Does it affect Macs, even with the latest version (Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard) and/or PCs with Windows XP and Windows Vista?
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:29 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsicking View Post
1. Open your music library and find the following files.

iTunes Music Library.xml
iTunes Library.itl

2. For both files:

Right click on the file name.
Select properties
On the attributes pane, uncheck "read only" box.
Click OK

This worked for me.
It's already unchecked fo me.
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:33 AM

Repair disk permissions with Disk Utility.
Old August 9th, 2008, 07:23 AM

I tunes Locked up?

Have you simply just tried restarting your PC. Worked for me.

One word of advice, invest in a back up drive and keep it updated just in case.

I may have gotten lucky with just a restart, but try that first before moving all the files around, you might get lucky too.
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:32 PM

even more problems

hey i just got the whole locked itunes thing this morning and im pretty much having a meltdown

i tried copying the itunes library and the .xml thing and it worked until i tried to open itunes again and i just got the same locked message thing

the only difference with me is that i actually have a disc in my disc drive which might be locking my itunes but because my mac is so old discs dont like coming out when theyre told to so im stuck with this until i can get the disc out

any advice
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:04 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Unhappy The Folder "iTunes" is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions ...

I have been experiencing the same problem and have tried all of the solutions listed above aside from attempting to "repair permissions using disk utility" (I have no idea how to do that.) I am unfortunately computer challenged. But, I have been sitting at my computer for hours now trying to find a solution to this and other problems I have had with my computer lately. I think that all of the issues I have had, are because of a larger problem I had a couple weeks ago that supposedly according to a computer repair man (and $80 later) were fixed. If anyone can please, please help me fix my iTunes I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 12 hour flight to look forward to in a couple days and I would like to have my ipod ready; not to mention have my computer working again. Below, I listed the other issues I am having:

1. Cannot save any documents/pictures to files/My Pictures - alert says "You dont have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission" even though I am the administrator and I have repeatedly gone into properties and changed the permissions in the security settings

2. Receive the following error: "Could not initialize the application's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application behaviour when accessing security features." when trying to open random files or things like Windows Online Help (go figure)

3. Cannot close OpenOffice word docs once opened without getting a "not responding" error

If anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciate it.

V/R

Fifikins
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:08 AM

This is the Macintosh forum.. if you have issues with software on a Windows system, you need to post in the appropriate forum.