Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Topic Tools
Old November 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Exclamation ccSvcHst.exe error

Hello ... I recently upgraded to Norton 2007 from 2006 and my system has been starting up at the desktop very slowly ever since. Also, when I shut down sometimes, I get an error message about ccSvcHst.exe not being able to read a certain memory location. I've never been able to write the error message down before the system finishes shutting down. I did uninstall Norton and reinstall after shutting down Windows Defender, but I am still having problems. Can anyone help?

Old November 5th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
That error seems to be due to a bug in Norton 2007. A patch has been issued for it. Run Live Update manually and look for the COH updates. Reboot afterwards and let us know if this fixed your problem.
Old November 5th, 2006, 02:32 AM

How do I run this manually? When I click the run LiveUpdate button, it says the program is up to date.
Old November 5th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Ok, well you must have already downloaded it then.

Did you uninstall Norton 2006 before installing Norton 2006?
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Yes and I've since had to restore my system which made it worse. Norton is bogged down and I always get an error message about ccSvcHst.exe not being able to read a particular address. Now I got a ccApp.exe runtime error. Have done virus scans, Ad-Aware scans and m still having problems.
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM

I think it would be a good idea to uninstall Norton 2007 and then go here and run the online Norton Removal Utility. It should get rid of all Norton Traces.

Reboot afterwards and shut down all running programs and try reinstalling Norton again. Run Live Update and install all updates and reboot again. Do you still have a problem?
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:15 AM

I did, but the culprit turned out to be Windows Defender. If both run, I have major problems, so now I only have Norton running.
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:05 AM

Ah, thanks for that information liasis and I'm glad that all is well now.
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:14 PM

Hi there

I'm getting this exact same error, where is Windows Defender though? I've never even heard of it!!!

EDIT - Just looked on the Microsoft site and it doesnt even look like I have got Windows Defender on my PC so what could the problem be? I haven't tried the uninstall stuff just yet

Last edited by gav85; November 15th, 2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:28 AM

Quote:
I haven't tried the uninstall stuff just yet
Hi gav85 and welcome to CTH. Try it and let us know if you still have a problem.

Make sure that you have your license key first though.
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:20 PM

Obviously I haven't done anything with Windows Defender because I dont have it.

I've done the Norton bit though and although my PC does seem to be running slightly better, I still dont think its as it should be.

I got the error message earlier when I shut my PC down but haven't had it since, next time I get it I'll try and take a photo so you can see what it says, I'll give it a couple of days though and see how it goes and I'll report back.
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:38 AM

Ok but you may have to talk to Symantec support about this gav85. Let's see how things go first though.
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Hi, Yes, I get exactly the same as you. Takes an age to boot up. Then all seems ok for a while and then the disk starts chattering away, everything slows right down. The tasks manager shows that ccSvcHst.exe is taking up a load of memory. System becomes unusable. Get the same errors as you on shutdown. I did have Norton 2006. Rebuilt machine as I thought it was virus-ridden and then installed Norton 2007 - same problem. Right now the disk has been chattering away for 30 mins like this. I'll uninstall Norton as suggested in this message thread and see if the problem goes away. Keep you posted.
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:53 PM

Update from Browny - After trying everything to resolve my issues with Norton Anti-Virus 2007 (with ccSvcHst and ccApp using all the system memory and making PC unusable) I decided to uninstall Norton completely (there is an uninstall download on the Symantic website). My PC now works like a dream - Thanks for nothing Symantec! I have emailed Symantec to demand a refund for a poor product. It's clear I'm not alone in being disappointed with Norton Anti-Virus. My laptop uses McAfee on Windows XP (the same OS) so I'll probably buy that instead. Hope this helps.
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:54 PM

I'd do the same but I've spent 35 on my Norton 2007 so I dont fancy just not using it and buying something else!!