Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows Vista

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Problem with Device Manager/Wireless USB Adapter

I'm using a Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54-AI Wireless USB Adapter. It worked fine with 98 and XP, and I'm trying to get it to work with Vista. Buffalo's site gave me an updated installation CD (supposedly Vista-compatible), but that gets as far as 'Drivers installed, now please attach the product' and goes no further.

Now, the core problem seems to be this: Device Manager identifies the Adapter under DVD/CD-ROM drives, rather than Network Adapters. This in turn prevents it from being passed to the installation program as an Adapter, I assume. I've already tried 'Installing Legacy Hardware', but it doesn't help; it treats it as if there is no new hardware, and the Adapter is the CD-drive it always has been

If I can force it to realise it's a Network Adapter, it should work, but I don't know how to. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old July 14th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Andy. Seems like it will be compatible when AirNavi9 (whatever that is) is released. See here.
Old July 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Hiya.

As I said, the problem is with Vista incorrectly identifying the device to begin with. I'm pretty sure the 'updated installation CD' I mentioned includes AirNavigator 9, but it doesn't help if Vista treats it as something other than a Network Adapter!
Old July 14th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the 'updated installation CD' I mentioned includes AirNavigator 9,
In that case you should contact Buffalo Support here Andy. The information on their website shows that your WLI-U2-KG54-AI Wireless USB Adapter" on it's own "will be" compatible rather than compatible. Perhaps they have a readme or help file that you havent yet seen.
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks, I'll try contacting Buffalo.

I still think it's more of a Vista problem than a Buffalo problem though; XP (and 98) recognised it fine, and there's not really anything that can be done to the Adapter that will change anything.
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Sorry for the bump, but has anyone got any further ideas? Again, I feel this is a Vista problem, more than a Buffalo problem. Vista is misidentifying the device from the outset, so the problem stems from there.
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mc View Post
I'm using a Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54-AI Wireless USB Adapter. It worked fine with 98 and XP, and I'm trying to get it to work with Vista. Buffalo's site gave me an updated installation CD (supposedly Vista-compatible), but that gets as far as 'Drivers installed, now please attach the product' and goes no further.

Now, the core problem seems to be this: Device Manager identifies the Adapter under DVD/CD-ROM drives, rather than Network Adapters. This in turn prevents it from being passed to the installation program as an Adapter, I assume. I've already tried 'Installing Legacy Hardware', but it doesn't help; it treats it as if there is no new hardware, and the Adapter is the CD-drive it always has been

If I can force it to realise it's a Network Adapter, it should work, but I don't know how to. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I actually had a similar experience on XP with my USB wireless adapter being recognised as a CD Rom even after I had installed the correct drivers - is your brand Sitecom?

Anyway I don't remember what the resolution to that was, it was caused only on one profile that I had set up on the computer, the admin profile was fine - actually thats it, I think I changed the other profile to admin and that sorted the problem....dunno if that helps.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM

same problem

I am having the same problem and am downloading air navigator 9 just now. Does that fix it or does vista still see the wireless adapter as a cd-rom? Anyone know how to fix it?
Thanks in advance for any help
[EDIT]
Just tried installing the wireless adapter with air navigator 9 but got stuck yet again at the "please attach product" screen. Is it possible to fix this through the registry?
thanks again

Last edited by IanC2504; September 23rd, 2008 at 08:29 PM.