Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:56 PM

Question Software Distribution Service 3.0 causing problems?

Everytime I boot my computer it freezes at the screen with the XP logo and three scrolling dots. At first I though I was infected because I've had this same exact problem before and it was Smitfraud but now I'm not so sure. I couldn't see any obvious infections from the scans I ran (but I'm not much of an expert) and when I look at system restore SDS 3.0 has been instaling "stuff" for the past week or so. On Monday I do remember a little icon popping up on my quicklauch and asking me to install stuff blah blah blah and then it asked me to put in the Windows XP professional CD (which I'm not sure I had installed before then) and I think I had to reboot and I did reboot successfully. Since Tuesday night I've had to run in Safe Mode. Any help is appreciated.

Old July 20th, 2007, 05:08 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi there drobin18,

It seems others are having similar problems with the Software Distribution Service. The information I've been able to find says it has to do with the way Updates are delivered. The "SoftwareDistribution" folder is a sub-folder of C:\Windows. I have it on my computer but haven't experienced any problems so I'm not sure what to tell you. I have Automatic Updates turned off and I check every Tuesday ("update Tuesday" as they call it) to see what updates are available. I don't like to let it run automatically because I want to see what they plan to install before I let them do it. So far I've only refused Windows Messenger 4.7, which shows up in Updates immediately after you remove it from your system. It's a simple matter to check "Don't show this update again" and that's the end of it.

I'll defer to a Moderator (or someone smarter than me) on this one since you are already experiencing problems. I did see a couple of "fixes" on the web that involved turning off Automatic Updates and then removing the hotfix for SDS 3.0 through Add/Remove programs (with the "show updates" box checked) and then removing the SDS folder. It's a rather involved process because if you just delete the folder it will recreate itself on restart. If you don't get any help on this one I'll direct you to the fixes I found but they have unknowns and drawbacks so as I said I'll defer to someone who might know exactly what your problem is.

Actually I suppose there's no harm in giving you links to the discussions I read. Go ahead and read them but I wouldn't do anything until I got a more definitive answer. The SDS situation may only be a symptom of some other problem. Below are the links...

Link #1 Other users problems...
Link #2 More discussion and the "fix"... but if you read the entire discussion it turns out one user had a different problem and thought SDS was the culprit. It wasn't.

In the meantime I'll monitor this thread.

Mark

Last edited by squirekat; July 20th, 2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Thanks man I'll hold tight for a bit.
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:21 AM

Software Distribution Service 3.0 problems

I had to uninstall windows defender and reinstall. That took care of my problems. It appears that a system restore point of this category is created every time a definition update is installed.
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Software Distribution 3.0

I can't seem to find any way to get out of safe mode since this update installed on my system. If anyone knows which updates I should delete, please please let me know! Add/Remove programs shows no hotfixes, etc. since August; however the SD folder shows updates (hidden- I dont know where?). I'm extremely frustrated with this and would definitely appreciate feedback. Thanks!!!
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Do you have Windows Defender installed? You might try removing it. Changes won't show as an update in the Add/Remove programs section, but they do show up as "restore point" entries with Software Distribution 3.0 as the name. Under System Tools there is a System Restore program. I don't know for sure if it is available in safe mode. Also, you have to have System Restore enabled for it to work. What do the last few entries of the ReportingEvents.log show?
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Software Distribution Service 3.0 causing problem again

I was forced to download the Window Live Messenger when I started my old MSN Messenger and there it changed my Window Update setting to "Automatic Update" without my consent. Then the Software Distribution Service 3.0 was pushed into my laptop last weekend, since then my CPU usage always reach 100% causing everything to slow down tremendously!!!!

Even worst, every MS office documents on my laptop is now having unknown icons and when I tried to start an MS office software from "All Program", the folder is EMPTY!! which means I can not start MS word unless I open an exisiting .doc document to activate the MS Office.

I have tried System Restore but it didn't work, just said cannot be restored to this previous point.

I have gone through the links but the solution seems to be good for SDS2.0 and I am not quite sure which corresponding updates to remove for SDS3.0.

Please if there is anyone out there can offer help, all I asked for is to restore my machine back to what it was 3 days ago

P.S. I don't have Window Defender installed.

Thanks
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:00 AM

I Too found Software Distribution Service 3.0 offensive

Not sure where it came from, but think it might be Spyware Blaster. a nice
program, but if you take a "snapshot" of your system using this program,
it might be causing "Software Distribution Service 3.0". I did a restore point
to the time I think I used the "Snapshot", and now I think I am rid of this problem. The "Snapshot" apparently sets a restore point. So, beware!
Hope this helps..
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Here is the similar problem:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r183...-up-Windows-XP
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Thanks Kellyolson for your hints. Sorry that I don't quite understand what is the "Snapshot".

I have tried system restore not just for the check point before SDS 3.0 was installed, I also tried create a new restore point and perform systmer restore just to test if "system restore" works at all.

It turns out that system restore does not work on whatever restore point/ check point I choose....
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM

PLEASE HELP!!!

My comp is having same problem and cannot find any solutions. My PC stalls at Windows XP logo and the three bars and moving extremly slowly and thats it. This happend right after I did a manual update and restarted my pc. I went into safemode and looked at SDS folder and log, there were three updates, windows defender description is one of them. I tried deleting windows defender but had no success, add/remove does not work in safemode and the pc wont let me delete the windows defender folder. I tried system restore before the SDS, repairing the windows, nothing works,

PLEASE ANYONE???????????????????
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
HELP!!!!

My computer (OS=Windows Home XP) has run happily for years until I recently clicked on "Install [Windows] Updates Automatically'. Suprise...something called 'Service Distribution Software 3.0' downloaded the very next evening (this past Saturday/Sunday). Since then, I am having trouble with my e-mail program. It won't let me reply, compose or send e-mails I can [U]read e-mail) and when I click on links in my homepage, NOTHING HAPPENS! Also, I can't perform a 'System Restore' (yes...it is enabled, I checked). I get messages that it is 'unable to restore to this point'. I selected quite a few 'restore points' with the same result. The last restore point (October 6/7, 2006) lists SDS 3.0.

I have ascertained that it is not the Internet Provider causing problems. Since my system is backed up to an external drive, I decided (after reading some of the forums regarding problems with this program) to 'remove' SDS 3.0 but can't find it on my 'Add or Remove Programs' in the Control Panel.

I see a 'Software Distribution' folder 'C:/Windows' drive that was created December 30, 2004 and seems to have quite a few subfolders that were modified on October 7, 2007 when the problem began.

Does anyone think that if I 'Remove' all my recent updates it might take care of it? The system ran fine without the updates.

Thanks so much
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM

Im having prety much the same problem as everyone else with this service distribution software 3.0. Im not really to worried at the moment because im only getting slight glitches but i would like to get rid of it before it dose anything else has anyone come up with anything yet?

cheers
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Hi folks,

I've been monitoring this thread as promised and it seems a lot of you are having problems with Software Distribution. As stated in my first post on this thread, I have it and am not experiencing any problems at all. I know that's little comfort for those of you who are.

Since my last post I've switched from ZoneAlarm back to Norton (360 this time) and also have enabled automatic updates, again with no problems. I wish I had a solution but am not having the same problem so don't know what to say. Sorry...

You may try running System File Checker and see if that helps.

Start>Run>type in "sfc /scannow"
You'll be instructed to insert your Windows CD and then Windows will check to make sure all your system files are in the right place and not corrupted. If SFC finds any problems it will automatically fix them for you. No report will be issued when it's finished. It will just disappear from the desktop and you're done.

Mark
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:15 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Desperate Measures

Hi Everyone,

There are a lot of threads in this forum so forgive me if I repeat anything someone has already said.

From what I have been able to find out, 'Service Distribution Software 3.0' (SDS 3.0) seems to interface with an update called 'Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool' (Update KB892130). And Suprise, Suprise...It can't be removed through the 'ADD or REMOVE Programs' function. I am working on finding a method to do this.

In brief, windows uses this tool to verify that you have a legitimate copy of Windows XP or Windows 2000 Professional, etc. It seems to corrupt the System Restore because Microsoft does not want this tool removed and restoring a system to an earlier point will certainly do this.

Maybe this is tied in with the Windows Defender that Willis mentions. It seems, people who were unlucky enough to also end up with 'Windows Genuine Validation Notification' appear to have additional problems.

There is also a 'Service Distribution Software 2.0' (SDS 2.0) which also seems to have be causing problems. The following link provides some info on how to get rid of SDS 2.0. Look for the thread by 'POOL ARCHITECT'.

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...t=18118&page=3

It may or maynot work for SDS 3.0 depending on if you find the VERCLSID.EXE it refers to on your system.

The update that caused me so much trouble installed a folder in my C:Windows folder named 'Software Distribution' BUT there is not a corresponding name on the 'Add or Remove Programs' function.

Desperate as I was, I reasoned that a) I knew the problem began with the installation of recent updates and b) since I couldn't determine which update was specifically related to SDS 3.0, c) if I uninstalled the updates then maybe the problem would go away and d) it just couldn't get any worse.

Uninstalling the updates worked for me. My system is running just as smoothly as before although there are still a few more folder and other items I want to get rid of. I had to go through the process below because my 'Add or Remove Progarms' program did not itemize when the updates were installed. I did not want to remove earlier updates as I was not having trouble with them. So I...

1) Went into C:/Windows and organized the files by 'Date Modified ' (most recent first)
2) Took a snapshot ('Print Screen/SysRq' button on keyboard) of all updates installed on October 7, 2007 when my problem began.
3) Pasted the snapshot into a Windows document, enlarged it and printed it out for reference.
4) Went back into 'Add or Remove Programs' and deleted all new updates from the printout.(Checked 'restart later' for those deleted updates that needed a restart)
5) Restarted the Computer.
6) Went back into C:/Windows and deleted all logs and install logs related to the relevant updates.
7) Checked to see that all the problems I was having were cleared up. Hurray! They were.

Then for the problem of System Restore. All my Restore Points were irretrievably lost and the only way to fix this was to delete them (they use a lot of memory and should be periodicaly cleaned out anyway) and set a new current restore point.

To get rid of the old points, turn off System Restore (In 'My Computer,' select 'System Restore' tab and check 'Turn off System Restore'). Restart the Computer. Then turn the Sytem Restore back on('My Computer', select 'System Restore' tab and clear the check from 'Turn off System Restore). Restart the computer again. Then create a new Restore Point.

If you get your system back to where it was before the problems started and the problems were caused by updates from Windows, some of the advice I found was to never let Windows automatically download and install your updates. I never did before this, I always reviewed and chose what I wanted but I clicked the install automatically button by mistake. Yikes...

Am still working on removing the super wonderful Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool....Any ideas???