Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old September 19th, 2001, 08:30 PM

Mouse clicking by itself, making me nuts!!!

My mouse is making a clicking noise by itself even when I am not near it. Is this an indication that I need a new one? I have an HP Pavilion so what kind do I get? My choices of stores or wla-mart & k-mart.
Thanks

Old September 19th, 2001, 11:32 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Is the mouse making the clicking noise or is the noise comeing from the PC?

You could try deleting the mouse and reinstalling. Right click My COmputer, click properties, click the Device manager tab. Click the Plus sign beside Mouse, then Click on the Mouse in the drop down menu. Then click on remove.... Reboot the PC, and let windows reinstall....
Old September 20th, 2001, 01:44 AM

Hello Dodge, I have a ? HA! HA! you sure this mouse will rebuild itself huh? Not trying to question your expertise, just a bit hesitant about deleting stuff.
Thanks so much
Old September 20th, 2001, 03:06 AM

O/S: Linux
perplexed, yes Dodge is correct (shock, horror, alert the media! LOL)
What happens here is quite simple - Deleting an item from device manager tells windows that you no longer have it.
When Windows restarts, it sees the device as "new" and will reinstall the drivers to make it work (or prompt you to tell it what it is if it cannot identify the device itself).
At the very worst, you may need to run the addd new hardware wizard if it is a serial mouse.

That being said, we really don't know enough about the problem to know if that will fix it or not.
What sort of mouse is it?
If the noise is emitting from the mouse itself, then reloading drivers is unlikely to have any effect (good or bad).
Old September 20th, 2001, 03:23 AM

Gee, everyone likes to pick on me....

I cant say that it will solve the problem, but it wont hurt you at all. If the mouse is Bad, then it may not want to reinstall, but if it is bad, you will need to get another anyways....

Do need to know where the Clicking is coming from... Or is it just selecting stuff by itself or what?
Old September 20th, 2001, 03:27 AM

O.K. you guys heres the deal, the clicking noise appears to be coming from the computer itself but the mouse arrow is doing the mexican hat dance and I am not touching the mouse (Not that bad) just moving a tiny bit and clicking at will.
The mouse came with the hp pavilion computer. I know you nice folks have a hard job helping people who don't know the right terms to try and explain things in the right way. I am sorry for that.

As I try and type this my computer is clicking away and the errow is jumping at will, its funny really.
I will check reply in the morning, I have yet to delete anything but I will in the morning after I recheck post.
Thanks so much!
Old September 20th, 2001, 03:30 AM

Go ahead and delete the Mouse, and let windows reinstall. See if it helps...
Old September 20th, 2001, 04:51 AM

O/S: Linux
Yep, that's definately the way to go in this case... your mouse drivers are either corrupted or your mouse is conflicting with another device. Either way reinstalling it should fix it.

If it doesn't, we may need to look at video drivers or screensavers which I have also seen exhibit this type of behaviour.
Old September 20th, 2001, 05:32 AM

One other thing is to do a Virus Scan with updated Dat files. Just to rule out any nasties that may be hanging around...
Old September 20th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

I have an HP 8760c and have had this same problem on and off. It is impossible.
What is happening is the "Start Navigation"
sound is playing. That's the clicking you're hearing. I don't have any mouse movement, but the constant clicking when I'm on the Internet started up a few days ago again. The globe spins a bit,too. So it thinks it's going somewhere. It happens all by itself.

I have removed the mouse twice in Safe Mode. Reduced Hardware Acceleration,removed and reinstalled the Video Drivers.(in Safe mode) Updated the Internet Keyboard Drivers. Disabled all background Programs while on the Internet. Defragged, scan disked. Run various AV, but I know that isn't it because this is a recurring problem. I used SFC to extract a new copy of Explorer.exe. I am trying anything I can think of. Nothing has worked. I even changed the mouse to left handed then back to right handed. I rebooted after each of these procedures and signed back on the Internet. Not one of them made a bit of difference. It has to be the mouse. Either it is dirty, or it has a problem inherent to it. I turned off my sound event because it was driving me onto the last mile on the short ride to insanity.
I checked the connections and they are fine. Later, I will turn off the Computer, unplug the mouse and replug it.

Updated IE too. But it also happens when I use Netscape.
To get rid of the clicking go to Control Panel>Sounds and scroll to Windows Explorer. Find the Start Navigation event and change it to "none"
I believe these Mice, (if yours is the same) are Logitech with the HP label on them.
EDIT: Smurfy, I had such a long list, I forgot to mention I have changed the screensaver several times. I even set it to none. No result.

[ 20 September 2001: Message edited by: Mosaic1 ]
Old September 20th, 2001, 07:21 PM

Mosaic, is your mouse a PS/2 or is a USB mouse with the adapter to make it PS/2.

If it is the USB type with adapter. Delete your Mouse in device manager. Unhook the mouse and take the adapter off, and install it in the USB port. See if the problem continues. If it fixes the problem, then try rebuilding the PS/2 drivers.
Old September 20th, 2001, 07:36 PM

Hi Dodge,
Thanks. No. It's a Standard PS/2 Mouse. No adapter.
I just got back from changing the Drivers. I went to Logitech and installed the Mouseware Drivers. No change. (The original Drivers it used were Microsoft from the install CD.)

I have no conflicts in Device Manager. I think this must be a problem with this particular mouse.
Old September 20th, 2001, 07:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi folks,

The HP mouse that came with this machine worked fine here, but I missed my scroll mouse so I immediately switched to that. In the following days I tried the HP mouse on my two other machines and it never worked right. In fact, the the homebuilt couldn't even recognize it. Kept saying there was no mouse. Needless to say, it is in a box now and I bought another MS scroll mouse.

As for Logitech hardware...I know some like it, but after a mouse and gamepad I tried using from them, I won't try Logitech anymore. Neither works right.

I love my plain old MS wheelmice (PS2) using Intellipoint 3.2

I know this doesn't help the problems being discussed here, but wanted to toss it in. Good luck.

[ 20 September 2001: Message edited by: maxximilian ]
Old September 20th, 2001, 08:23 PM

Hi Maxx,
I think you have a point(er) LOL I am getting on my own nerves here.
I can't think of one more thing to try.
I am using the Logitech Drivers. No help at all. Guess I'll go in and turn off the Start Navigation sound again and give up. I have been at this all day.
LOL Maybe I'll email Tech Support.
Old September 21st, 2001, 12:35 AM

o.k. I did what mosaic 1 said do and no clicking noise. Thanks so much, But what did I just do? What does that control? What other thing on my computer does that sound go with of any or it just the mouse?

To get rid of the clicking go to Control Panel>Sounds and scroll to Windows Explorer. Find the Start Navigation event and change it to "none

Thanks all is quiet so far and thanks to all who helped me.
Closed Topic