Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:14 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
why does it say my email address is invalid?

Everytime I try to create an account on web sites that I want to join, I get messages that say things like, "your email address doesn't look correct. Try again." or "Invalid email address." or "we do not recognize this email address." etc.. etc.. I tried using two different email addresses to join sites... both of which are in working order. Because of this problem, I can never join sites. Can you please help?

Old July 31st, 2008, 03:22 PM

What is the syntax you are using? If it happens with more than one site you must be inputting something wrong.
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:31 PM

I don't know what a syntax is, but I asked someone and they said C#. They also said that whatever language I'm typing in is the syntax. I also know that I'm typing in the email address correctly because I've tried so many times being very careful not to make any mistakes.
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM

By syntax I mean spelling and special characters. Are you using only letters or numbers in your email address?
Old July 31st, 2008, 06:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well, Hespia - looks like you were able to join the CTH Forum! Welcome -

Did you use one of the same e-mail addresses for this forum as the one(s) that do not work elsewhere?

By syntax, DonBB means the format of the e-mail address, i.e. username@domain, such as 'joeblow@yahoo.com' (w/o the quotes, of course) - make sure that you are typing in the correct format (or syntax), and do not use any 'unallowed' characters.

Plus, some websites may already have members w/ the same e-mail address, but their message is usually clear on that issue; also, most sites want verification, i.e. an e-mail is sent to the address you entered, and you need to respond back for confirmation. Finally, you might want to clear your web browser's cache/cookies/history or try another browser?

Just a few ideas - let us know if any of these suggestions help - good luck!
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:15 PM

Well, I tried two different email addresses, both of which are in working order. One email address contains all lower case letters, and the other has all lower case letters plus two numbers.
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:22 PM

I want to thank both hespia and giradman for their help. Actually, I got lucky when creating an account for this site, because it did accept my email address. The one that did not work for the other sites. As for the syntax, and to your example plus two numbers at the end.. 'joeblow86@yahoo.com'. I send and recieve from this email address all the time, and also receive the confirmations you are talking about from the few sites that allow me to create an account.
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:26 PM

Oops, I meant that I wanted to thank DonBB and giradman for their help.