Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old August 16th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Greetings Workshop Database

Hi I have loaded Microsoft Greetings Workshop from a CD to windows windows XP. When I try to run this I get the Message Sorry I am having trouble with a database

I have also tried to transfer this from my old computer Windows 98 by floopy disk and pen but i get the same answer also tried to run Program Compatibility Wizard this did not help one little bit.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
fairweather

Old August 17th, 2008, 01:34 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I run an old copy of Microsoft Greetings Workshop on my XP machine & have no problem at all so I know it will work. Try uninstalling it & when you reinstall make sure all programs are shut down in your system tray. Your Anti-Virus may be block it from changing the Registry..
Old August 17th, 2008, 05:37 AM

Hi w1che

Thanks for your information

I have closed down all programs antivirus firewalls etc. but to no avail I have installed other programs with no trouble Greetings workshop installs OK but when I click on it to open it I get the same message. Sorry (Red circle with a white cross) and below. I am having trouble with a database.

fairweather
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
What does it do when you put your disk in the drive? Does a window come up that has a run button?
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Hi w1che

The program loads perfectly, when you try to run it this is the message I get. Sorry (Red circle with a white cross) and below. I am having trouble with a database.
I have tried to reinstall it also transfer it from my old computer all is good tells me it has loaded sucseccfully. but when I click to run it I get the same message every time.

fairweather
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Hi w1che
Yes when I put the disc in and press run I get the same message Sorry (Red circle with a white cross) and below. I am having trouble with a database.
fairweather
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Hi w1che
Further to my problem but associated with Greetings Workshop. When i start my computer I now get this message. (Greatings Workshop Reminder Service) Could not initialize GWUTIL.DLL
Thanks
fairweather
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:35 AM

Solution to Greetings Workshop problems

You can run Greetings Workshop (at least my old version) in Windows XP or Windows Vista Basic if you run Windows XP or Windows Vista Basic as Virtual PC sessions with the proper settings. Virtual PC lets me "dial in" the memory available to the OS.

For Windows XP:
set memory size to 786mb or less works, set to 787mb or greater does not work.

For Windows Vista Basic:
set memory size to 903mb or less works, set to 904mb or greater does not work.

You do not need to use any compatibility settings with Greetings Workshop... just control the amount of memory available to the OS. I have no idea why this works, but this does explain issues like "I upgraded my Windows XP computer and now Greetings Workshop no longer runs".

Best of luck... I have no idea why this fixes the problem, but am happy to say that I now have a new solution to an old problem.
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Hi stamas
Yes I run Windows XP:
How do you set memory size to 786mb or less,
I really like greeting workshop and have been to micosoft and been told there is a problem running this on XP so would like to try your theory.

Thanks fairweather
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Windows 7

My wife refuses to use anything else. She is a teacher and over the past few years have a lot of files on GW. I recently bought her a laptop with windows 7 and have the nsame problem of not finding a database. HELP
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
Hi w1che
Further to my problem but associated with Greetings Workshop. When i start my computer I now get this message. (Greatings Workshop Reminder Service) Could not initialize GWUTIL.DLL
Thanks
fairweather
Fairweather
Try going to Start>Programs>Startup. Just put your mouse on the word Startup, and see if Greetings Workshop Reminder Service pops up. If it does then right click on it, and click delete. You don't need that starting up everytime you turn on your computer, and that should stop one of the messages you are getting.
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:41 AM

IPR512
Hi my grandson reformated my computer about 10 weeks ago as i was having a lot of problems now it is up and going well, so i have just loaded greeting workshop on trying to run this I get the same notice SORRY (I am having trouble with a database.) I have done the start/Programs/startup delete etc but still get this message. Help if you can please.
Thanks
fairweather
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi fairweather
It's been a long time, but I found this. If you're not familiar with changing things on the computer maybe your grandson can help you with this for the database problem.
Have a look here:
http://www.fogma.co.uk/foggylog/archive/367.html