Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Please help. "Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file" etc.

Hello, folks.

This is my first post here on this community, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong forum. Didn't know if it would be best under "Windows XP" or "Applications", but I opted for here in the end.

Anyway, I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help me with a problem that has more or less completely crippled almost everything on my computer. Everything it seems but for Internet Explorer, thank goodness.

Basically, my problem has something to do with MSPaint, but I'm not entirely certain why.

I shall try to explain.... The problem began just this evening. Doubleclicking on SOME(though not all) filetypes and in particular .exe files causes the machine to throw up the Paint Error Message:

"Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported."

It gives me this message if I endeavour, for example, to open Calculator, or Notepad, or Windows Media Player or the Graphics Card Controller software etc. It even says it if I try to doubleclick Paint's own .exe file itself!

Now, I CAN open .JPG and .BMP files and Paint handles them beautifully, but for some reason, it is attempting to use Paint in order to open numerous other files that it shouldn't.

As a little test, I've just tried opening an .mpg file by double-clicking, and I got the same error. I then tried with a RIGHT-click, browsed for Media Player, and it opened fine. But upon double-clicking again, it attempted to open it in Paint once more. Right-clicking and viewing the Mpg's "properties" tells me that it "opens with..." Windows Media Player of course, which is what I instructed it to do, BUT it's not actually doing that. It's trying to open it in Paint.

Now, the obvious solution would be to attempt a System Restore back to this morning, when everything was fine....

....but if I double-click on the .exe file for rstrui.exe - you guessed it - it tries to open the .exe in Paint.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks so much in advance.

Old January 31st, 2009, 09:39 PM

O/S: MacOS
Hi and welcome Thraxwhirl

Sounds like your file associations have gone awry for some reason

If you click here then go down to where it says EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files) click on it and follow the instructions at the top of the site page. Hopefully that will sort it out
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:18 PM

Why thank you. That's helped a great deal.

I've also managed to aquire new copies of Paint and Calculator(that one was missing, whilst Paint was just broken), and they are running fine too.

It does however lead me to a new problem, though this one is relatively minor by comparison.

By default, if I double-click on a Jpeg or BMP file, the image will be loaded into Windows Photo/Fax Viewer-thingy. Now, If I then Crtl+E, or click the "edit" icon that performs the same function, it no longer opens up that file in Paint, as once it did. I'm instead given a list of "recommended" apps, and I can of course browse to find Paint on the hard-drive, but this is a pain in the proverbial rear, having to do this manually EVERY time I want to switch from Fax Viewer-thingy to Paint.

Is there a way I can configure the Viewer(sorry I can't think of its EXACT name) to use Paint as its default Editor?

Please note by the way, I've tried choosing the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" option, but clicking that doesn't set Paint as the default Editor for Fax Viewer to open(with Ctrl+E). What it does is set Paint as the default app to open the .jpeg when double-clicked initially - ie. it bypasses the Viewer.

Anyone know how I can configure the Viewer?

Thanks once again, and I do appreciate the help.
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:35 PM

Glad the fix worked

When you have your picture opened in Windows picture and fax viewer, what happens when you right click it, and 'open with'? I get paint as an option. Also when I right click a picture there, I get the edit option and it then opens it in Paint. When I click CTRL-E I get nothing of interest.

Maybe its another file association thing, Im not sure

EDIT I can do the ctrl-e thing now. Helps if you dont try it on a .gif file. Works great with jpegs

Last edited by PurestLight; January 31st, 2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:43 PM

Aha! I think you may be onto something there.

When a jpeg is active in the Viewer, right-clicking and choosing "Edit" gives me a message saying, "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

Grand. Just need to find the Folder Options now. lol

THINK I know where that is though.

Thank you once again, Purestlight. I really appreciate it.
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:46 PM

oh good

I think you've cracked it

We all learn something new here every day
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:40 PM

Aye.

It wasn't easy, mind. The processes have to be set for each filetype individually, and done so in a ludicrous manner that I shan't detail too specifically. But in brief(as brief as is possible) most stupidly you can't simply ammend the processes associated with the types - the button to do so does nothing at all. So for each one, you have to delete its "edit" protocol and rewrite it to match up with the correct filepath of Paint.

And that's just the half of it.

But I managed to get it done anyway.

So, again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. You've certainly been FAR more helpful than Microsoft saw fit to be when they wrote the coding for "Folder Options", I can tell you that for free.
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:28 AM

You're more than welcome, you did all the donkey work
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Sounds like your file associations have gone awry for some reason

If you click here then go down to where it says EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files) click on it and follow the instructions at the top of the site page. Hopefully that will sort it out
does this work on vista..
cause when i try 2 open it, it says "Not all data was successfully written to the registry. some keys are open by the system or other processes
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
No, janz13. File association fixes for Vista are on this page.
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
No, janz13. File association fixes for Vista are on this page.
thx miz, it works!!!!!!!!! now i can get on with my PC life...