Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:40 AM

Sigmatel-IDT-Sys Tray Error message

I recently wiped my hard drive and but windows xp back on my system. I installed all my drivers and etc. When I turn off my pc it gives me the following error: Sigmatel-IDT-Sys Tray not responding. Then I have the hit the End button to finish turning of.

It even does this when I log off and try to change users.

I unistalled Sigmatel when it started to do this and re-installed it. It did not solve the problem so I uninstalled it totally. I installed the latest Audio drive from intl's website, which is not sigmatel and that did not solve the problem.

I have ran a registry program to try to solve it that way and no lock.

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Have you tried removing the 'Sigmatel-IDT-Sys Tray' entry in the registry?

Click start\run, in the run box type 'regedit'. Go to the following key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]

Remove the Sigmatel entry. If there is more than one remove them too.
That should clear up that 'not responding' error during shutdown.
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM

There is no sigmatel file in that registry or any other that I have been in with that path or similar path.

When I open the last step Run I get another folder called Optional Compponents. In it is 3 folders called IMAIL, MAPI, & MSFS.

There are 2 files in the first folder, 3 files in the second folder and 2 files in the third.
The 2 files in the first appear in the following 2 folders plus another in the 2nd folder.
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Are you sure you're in the right registry key? The reason I ask, is that the key I listed is for startup programs. (some of the program icons that show in the system tray @ startup). I've never seen other folders inside that key.

You updated the audio with the latest IDT drivers from Intel right?

Check the event viewer for any errors that might be related to the issue.

So far everything I've found points to a bad driver install.
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM

When I go to registry editor I have 5 folders those folder are (in order from top to bottom):
HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, AND HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG.

I went the route that you told me and was unable to find anything with sigmatel.

Yes I got the latest audio drivers from intel and installed them and that did not take care of the problem.

In the event viewer I got this error message:
Event
Source: Service Control Manager
Date:2/4/2009
Category: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 7000
User: N/A
Computer: USER-CKSETUP

Description:
"The Audio Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified."

'For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM

The problem seems to be an incorrect registry entry.

did you update xp with the latest service pack and hot fixes? If not, update windows.Especially if that sound chip is a High-Definition chip.( supports digital output)

Quote:
I unistalled Sigmatel when it started to do this and re-installed it. It did not solve the problem so I uninstalled it totally. I installed the latest Audio drive from intl's website, which is not sigmatel and that did not solve the problem.
Did you uninstall the drivers/ and software from add/remove programs? and after that removed the hardware from device manager? then reinstalled the correct driver? (seems there are 2 different driver packages for that sound chip). make sure you have the correct one. DP965LT drivers
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM

I have all of the updates for XP and service pack 3.

When I first reinstalled windows on my system I put an old version of the audio driver. I had it saved on an external hdd since I do not have a cd with drivers I just downloaded all of them from intel's site. When this problem started I uninstalled the driver and downloaded a new driver from intel and still did not fix the problem.

I have tried both of the drivers on the site that you put a link up for before I posted my problem.

When I did uninstall the drivers this last time and went to device manager I unistalled the IDT and it took the problem away when I rebooted, but had no sound. I re-installed the latest driver from intel and the problem occurred again. When I install the driver it gives me a message that it has to find the IDT driver and searches for it and then installs it. I don't know if that causes the problem our not. this last time I said no when windows pop for finding the driver and the problem still occurs.

Thank you for all of your help so far.
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Have you tried looking in {HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces} for the sigmatel IDT service? (it may be listed under an odd name) If you find it, make sure the 'path' is correct. the only thing else I can think of is to disable the 'High Definition audio bus' in the device manager.
Old February 8th, 2009, 06:12 AM

I found it that way under a folder called STacSV and STHDA. I googled it and found out that these are Sigmatel exe.

I have very little computer experience. As you probably already can tell.

When you say make sure the "path" is correct what do you mean?

Last edited by ajaustin12; February 8th, 2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:53 AM

trouble as well

I am having a terrible time trying to track this bugger down.

The only listings I have in my .../run folder that even remotely resembles the sigmatel IDT-Systray is

SysTrayApp : REG_EXPAND_SZ : %Program Files%IDT/WDM/STTray.ext

don't want to delete it without knowing *** it is.
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:14 AM

Are you sure it doesn't read "sttray.exe"? If it does thats the sigmatel system tray and you can remove it.
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:51 AM

yeah, thats what it reads. thanks so much.
//patton
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM

I was experience the same issue. I just went into msconfig and turned off sttray.exe and that resolved my issue.
Old December 16th, 2011, 12:14 PM

This is all interesting stuff. And though I haven't attempted to fix my machine yet I'm hopeful that I now have the cure. However, what I'd really like answered is why this problem seems to appear at random and why it's considered okay to delete the registry file. If it wasn't needed, surely it wouldn't be there ?

Has my post just exposed me as a total noob ???
Old December 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Short answer? Sigmatel doesn't know how to write code.

Some programmers feel their program is "critical" and needs to be in your msconfig to start up right away. The program infact runs fine not being enabled in your startup. There are many others that do the same thing and are unneeded.