Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 1st, 2009, 04:43 AM

Parity Error on Device\RaidPort0 ?

I just bought a refurbished computer two weeks ago, and it continuously freezes up on me. I'm wondering if I should bother to continue troubleshooting, or if I should just give up and contact Acer?

This is a link to the PC I bought.

My specs are:
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Desktop PC
Acer Aspire AM5461
Logitech 4-button optical PS/2 mouse (from my previous system)
Acer USB Keyboard (included with PC)
4GB DDR2 RAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz processor
Acer MB (included with PC)
NVidia GeForce 9400GT 1GB (purchased separately and currently disconnected for troubleshooting; I'm running onboard graphics right now - GeForce 7100. Haven't noticed a difference other than I have crappy resolution with onboard.)

At first I thought my problem was that the PC only came with a 300w power supply. But swapping it out for my 430w Thermaltake PSU only seemed to marginally affect things (sometimes I can recover from the freeze now if I wait a very long time).

Event Viewer keeps throwing up error 5, parity error on \Device\RaidPort0 and error 7001, which is something about Network List service and Network Location Awareness. I'm also getting a lot of warning 6000 reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

I've currently got the two IDE drives I wanted to add disconnected (Western Digital Caviar 80GB & 250 GB), and the DVD drive is disconnected as well. I've already restored the C drive to factory state once, which helped for a day or two. I also disabled superfetch when I first got the PC, since it was dead slow. That sped the computer up immensely while it was still working.

I'm running in safe mode with networking right now, and it's more or less stable as long as I don't ask much of it. It does still crash in safe mode, though, if I try to access any large files. Thunderbird kills it immediately, so I uninstalled it for now.

I would really love this PC if I could get it working, and I am not excited about the hassle of dealing with the warranty. Is there anything I can do? I'm not sure what's up with the Raid business. I don't know anything about Raid, and whatever is there came from Acer.

Thanks for any help or suggestions anybody has.

Old March 1st, 2009, 06:55 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Welcome to CTH

Nice system. It came with the SATA drive but doesn't list which motherboard is in it. So your trying to hook up 2-IDE drives in a RAID, is this besides the SATA that came with it?

The error means that Raid is not set up right or the drivers are corrupted or there is an IRQ conflict.

When you restored to factory defaults, you only had the SATA hard drive hooked up???
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:37 PM

Thanks. :-) I hope I can get it to work without invoking the god of warranty. LOL.

I'm actually just trying to add the drives because they're from my old machine, and they have a bunch of my artwork files on them. I don't know anything about Raid. Is that something I can shut off?

Yeah, I reset to factory defaults with just the SATA. Should I try again just in case I screwed it up somehow? And should I ditch the IDE drives and just get a bigger SATA to put in there?
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM

OK:

Boot and immediately get into SETUP (screen tells you how if you haven't been there) - Usually DEL or a "F" key.

Once in SETUP, nose around within the menu's, as each system is different, probably under a "Advance". What you are looking for is "RAID".

You need to DISABLE it. Anything in there that says "RAID" disable it.

Now find an entry that says something like IDE, what you need in SETUP, you want SATA enabled, then you want IDE #1 and IDE #2 enabled, may say IDE Master and IDE Secondary.

Now find where you can SAVE & EXIT.

Should get to your desktop. Shutdown, then hook up one of the IDE drives (jumpered as MASTER) and hooked to IDE Primary. Boot up it should be recognized. If it is then shut down and hook up the other IDE drive jumpered as "SLAVE". They should be recognized.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:02 AM

Ok, great! Thanks! I'll try it and let you know how it goes.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:48 AM

Ok, I went into the setup, and the Raid stuff was all already disabled. But I reminded it and saved that way anyway. I can see and access the two IDE drives now. But I'm still freezing up if I ask much of the system. It froze when I was trying to copy some of my files. It copied the first folder of them, then it got stuck a 15 seconds left. I gave it ten minutes, but nothing.

The HD light gets stuck on with the very occasional blink, and once in a while it responds to something I clicked five minutes ago. But I can't ctrl+alt+del, nor can I ctrl+shift+esc to bring up task manager.

I checked my event viewer again for the last hour, and I didn't get any more of the Raid errors or warnings. But I did a 15 errors and 2 warnings. I still have the DVD drive unattached, and I unplugged my pen tablet, so I get why those are there. And I had to power off manually, which explains the unexpected shut downs. The rest leaves me clueless. Anyway, here's what I have from the event viewer. The number in parentheses is the number of times I got the error in the last hour:
Event Error 10 WMI (2):
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Event Error 4609 (1):
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043c from line 45 of d:\vistasp1_gdr\com\complus\src\events\tier1\event systemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Event error 6008 (2):
The previous system shutdown at 8:42:10 PM on 3/1/2009 was unexpected.

Event Error 7001 (1):
The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Event Error 7026 (2):
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
aswSP
cdrom
spldr
Wanarpv6

Event Error 10005 (5):
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}

Event Error 15016 (2):
Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains the error number.

Event Warning 263 PlugPlayManager (1):
The service 'TabletInputService' may not have unregistered for device event notifications before it was stopped.

Event Warning 6000 Winlogon (1):
The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle a notification event.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:17 AM

Ok, a little progress.

Right click on "My Computer" then to "Properties" left pane click on "Device Manager"

Do you see any yellow/red marks next to any devices?

Click on the + sign next to IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers,

Post what you have

Also get back into SETUP and there should be a menu item something called maybe Hardware Monitoring, what you are looking for is the temperatures. The processor should be running below 50c, if it is running in the mid 50-'s low 60's you have a heat problem.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM

I checked my temperatures and fans when I was in there before, so I'll give you those.

CPU temp: 30C/86F
System temp: 42C/107F
CPU fan: 1016 RPM
System fan: 1044 RPM

No red or yellow stuff in Device Manager. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have listed ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel 1, and Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM

Great temps. Appears you will need to reinstall your motherboard drivers. As Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller doesn't appear to be the right one.

Did you get a CD/DVD with it that may have the drivers on it?
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM

No, I didn't get a CD or DVD. Everything is on a recovery partition. I ordered a hard copy of that, though. Would there be drivers on there?

I managed to find out the motherboard information.

Main Board Make ACER
Main Board Model MCP73PV
Main Board Version NVIDIA MCP73
Main Board BIOS American Megatrends Inc. BIOS Date: 05/23/08 16:37:53 Ver: 08.00.15 ACRSYS - 20080523 20080523