Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Software to detect hardware problems

Hi my one computer in randomly shuting down. No rime or reason at random times and then will boot occationally back up but sometimes it takes a bit. My question is there an all in one software that I can load in windows xp or prior that will tell me it any of my hardware is faulty or if its a heating issue all of a sudden. I have done all the virus and malware scans and thats all fine so I beleive its a piece of hardware. thanks.

Old December 19th, 2009, 07:56 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi,
Your operating system is XP? I don't know of software that will diagnose hardware problems except for memtest for memory, speedfan for temperatures. In XP, you could access Event Viewer (Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer) and look for errors that might give you a hint as to what causes the crashes.
Post back with everything you can think of that might be a symptom, plus your computer make and age.
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM

Thanks for that. Computer is only about a year old. Power supply went and fried my m/b as well so replaced both and RAM. Is there a program for testing my motherboard to see if there is something wrong with it as well as my CPU.
Old December 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorcomputerboy View Post
Thanks for that. Computer is only about a year old. Power supply went and fried my m/b as well so replaced both and RAM. Is there a program for testing my motherboard to see if there is something wrong with it as well as my CPU.
I do not know of one. My next suggestion is to run memtest86 to verify no RAM problems. Also peruse your event viewer logs for errors.
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM

Question will the event log viewer show me the error if windows doesn't boot. Reason for question is I ran memtest last night after booting directly from the CD into it so not into Windows at all. Once I went to bed it had done 6 passes with no errors but once I woke up this morning the computer had shut itself off. Is there a place I can look for an error log to see why. Computer case is wide open with two fans inside and cpu fan is running so don't beleive its a heat issue but I'm not sure... any suggestions would be great.....
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM

Just asking, did you check for loose connections? Everything is seated tightly, like it should be? There isn't something grounding out in the case?
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM

I don't beleive so. I have wiggled everything and the random shutting off happens at random times. I beleived only while I was booted into Windows but oviously not as I was runnning memtest from the disk and booted into it
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

List your hardware specs. (look at my sig for an example.)

The event log doesn't run until windows is loaded. (so it won't be any use for memtest errors).

check the event logs for error entries, you can open it by typing 'eventvwr.msc' (no quotes) in the run box.

Since the system restarts randomly, turn off the "automatically restart" option. that way you'll blue screen instead of restart. That way we have the exact error that's causing the issue. To turn it off, right click 'My Computer', select properties, click the 'Advanced' tab and click on settings next to 'startup and recovery'. Uncheck the 'automatically restart' option.

what are your system temps?
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM

Ok I will do so and let you know. Not sure if it matters but the system is not restarting it just turns itself off.
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM

I did get windows event viewer open and there are errors under Application, System and tuneup. Should I post all the logs here or only the errors?
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM

Only other thing I noted running speedtemp. I beleive it was temp one for cpu its a X2 dual 6000 and running at 50 C not under load and little red flame keeps coming up and cpu fan is AMD stock and running at 3391 RPM's. Could this be my issue CPU fan or those numbers in line...
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Just post errors, not the whole log.

50c at idle is too hot. Is this a custom pc or a pre-fab (hp, compaq, etc)? fairly new or have you had it awhile?

First off, clean the inside of the computer. Turn it off, take off the access panel and blow all the dust and dirt out make sure you get all fans and heatsinks. Second, turn off "cool & quite" in the bios. (check motherboard manual for instructions on where it's at. If that doesn't lower the temperature, you might need to replace the thermal paste (between the cpu + heatsink), and install an aftermarket heatsink/fan combo.
Old December 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM

No this is a custom built. I will try after market heatsink and fan. It only about 6 months and I have turned off smart Q fan in bios. I have run CPU burn in test for two hours with no crashes but cpu only getting as hot as 50 idle to 55 under some load. From speedtest
GPU: 0
Temp 1 50-55
temp 2 32
temp 3 -128
HD0 34
Core 30

Not sure if that makes any sense or not.. I post error logs later tonight....
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
PassMark performance test:

http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

I have used this application many times to diagnose faulty memory, cpu, or drives.

What is the ventilation set-up with this unit? PSU, GPU, Case, etc..?