Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 30th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Parsing error 0xC00CE556

I have at HP dv6700 Laptop which originally came with Vista. I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate in December '09.

Now I am having parsing error problems when I try to use certain programs that use the NET Framework such as TurboTax.exe, Family Tree Maker.exe, and others.

I have tried MIcrosoft's Clean utility and it says it cleaned successfully, but I still have in the Microsoft.NET/Framework file the following subfolders: v1.1.4322, v2.0.50727, v3.0, v3.5 and in the v3.5 file I have a subfolder v3.51.

I continue to get the parsing error as follows:

Error Parsing
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\conf ig\machine.config

Parser returned error 0xC00CE556

I am lost right now.
I am not really Lou Lou, I am Lou Lou's other half, Chumley and am trying to fix this for her and my manhood is at stake. Hep me Please!

Thank you.
Chumley (aka Lou Lou's other half)

Old April 30th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Chumley and welcome to CTH. Aaron Stebner has an excellent blog about this very issue here. Try the suggestions and let us know if they helped.
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:20 AM

No Help Yet.

I tried all of the items that he suggested but none have worked. In fact, I ran the sfc.exe \scannow and it came back with an error message that Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

I also tried the TurboTax Utility and I could not get it to work. It just hung and I had to shut the machine off. I don't really have a problem with install of Turbo Tax. It has been working for several months. It just won't run now, along with Family Tree something and a couple of other programs.

I tried the Net Framework Setup Utility and it showed Product Verification Failed for v1.0, Product Verification Suceeded for v2.0, v3.0 and v3.5 sp1.

I am still getting the parsing error with not progress to date. If I knew which files were missing or corrupt I could reinstall them from my other machine with Windows 7 on it.

I am going crazy and my wife is losing faith in my computer skills.

Last edited by Lou Lou; May 1st, 2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Correction of Net Framework Setup Utility Parameters
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Lou View Post
I tried all of the items that he suggested but none have worked. In fact, I ran the sfc.exe \scannow and it came back with an error message that Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.
That error message could indicate that one or more of your services may be incorrectly disabled. Go here and scroll down to Default Windows 7 Services Start Key and download the registry file for your edition of Win7 to your Desktop. Extract the contents of the file and rightclick on the extracted regedit and choose Merge. Reboot afterwards and let me know if this made any difference.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:09 AM

I D/L'ed the correct file and performed a successful Merge and then rebooted. No Change. Still get the same parsing errors.
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:05 AM

I was able to run a sfc.exe /scannow and Windows Resource Protection did NOT find any integrity violations! A step in the right direction.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I have tried MIcrosoft's Clean utility and it says it cleaned successfully, but I still have in the Microsoft.NET/Framework file the following subfolders: v1.1.4322, v2.0.50727, v3.0, v3.5 and in the v3.5 file I have a subfolder v3.51.
If you read Aaron's blog, you will have discovered that .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are all installed as components of Windows 7 and cannot be removed.

If you are referring to NET Framework Cleanup tool, I have no idea what side effects of the changes you have tried to make so far are/will be but I cannot see how they will be beneficial. I can only suggest that you run System Restore and restore to a date before you made these changes if available.

If a Restore Point is not available, then your best option would be to boot into the Recovery Environment and try a Startup Repair (it's the same procedure for Windows 7).
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:48 PM

I did read Aaron's blog and followed his suggestions to no avail. I then went to the Startup Repair site you suggested and followed those suggestions also to no avail. I then re-installed the Windows 7 upgrade and I still get the same parsing errors I have been receiving all along.
If I could identify the missing files, maybe I could replace them from my other Windows 7 machine, but I have not found a way to do that.
Since this is an upgrade of Windows 7 from Vista I can't do a format and reinstall which would be my last hope anyway.
To my regret, I didn't make a rescue disk when I first installed the upgrade and now that a program probably erased those NET Framework files I am between a rock and a hard place.
I appreciate your help, I really do. I just wish something would work.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:31 PM

Did you try running System Restore?

Quote:
If I could identify the missing files, maybe I could replace them from my other Windows 7 machine, but I have not found a way to do that.
Aaron has documented a method below.

Quote:
Here are some steps Iíve been able to use to narrow down the exact missing files and/or registry keys that cause TurboTax setup to think that the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is not correctly installed:

1. Download and run the TurboTax verification utility from http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/k...rors/7659.html
2. When the utility finishes, click the button named Save Logs on Desktop
3. Go to your desktop and open the zip file named TurboTax2009UtilityLogFiles*.zip
4. Find the file named *_TurboTax 2009 Utility Ė *.log (where the first * is a date-time stamp and the 2nd * is a version number)
5. Search for the string ****ERROR**** in this log file and take note of the files and/or registry keys that it reports are missing

From the information in this log file, it is usually possible to figure out what files and/or registry keys need to be manually repaired on the computer. So far, the cases Iíve seen reported missing .config files and we have been able to get TurboTax setup to run correctly after copying the .config files from another computer or downloading them from here and putting them in the locations reported in this log file.
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:16 AM

With the TurboTax 2009 CD in the drive, I d/l the TurboTax Utility and attempted to run it. It did not run. I tried it several times and it appeared to want to work in that I got a message to the effect: do you want this program to modify your machine, but nothing happened even after waiting 15 minutes and I know it shouldn't take that long.
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:09 AM

You asked me if I had tried System Restore. Yes, I tried several different dates going back as far as I could which was early March. No change in parsing error message.
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:10 AM

I tried to reinstall TT 2009 and it wouldn't do that either. I had previously saved my data to another renamed file.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:17 AM

I see that you have been getting help from a number of sites and all I have done is duplicate advice you have already been offered so I wont be spending any more time on your problem aside from summarising the issue as I see it.

I also see from your posts elsewhere that not only did you run the NET Framework Cleanup tool but you have been running Registry Mechanic too. I have some concerns that essential registry entries have been removed and the fact that the System File Checker wouldnt run until you ran the regedit to fix your Services startups adds weight to my concern.

System Restore was your best option to restore missing registry settings but it was not successful. I am sorry Chumley but I really think a clean install is your only option now.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:36 AM

How would I do a clean install with this being a Windows 7 upgrade from Vista? Do I have to format the drive, install Vista and then upgrade to 7 again?
How can I keep for having this problem again? Is it just a fluke or is Registry Mechanic faulty and removed registry entries that it shouldn't have?
I am just trying to get this fixed the easiest and best way possible.
Thanks for your help.
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Lou View Post
How would I do a clean install with this being a Windows 7 upgrade from Vista? Do I have to format the drive, install Vista and then upgrade to 7 again?
Yes.

Quote:
How can I keep for having this problem again? Is it just a fluke or is Registry Mechanic faulty and removed registry entries that it shouldn't have?
I dont ever recommend the use of Registry Cleaners unless there is clear evidence of registry corruption (errors that are obviously registry related) AND the user has considerable expertise and understands exactly what the cleaner is doing. I have seen too many OS's trashed using this type of software.