Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:15 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Dropped laptop wont work

Hi guys i really hope you can help me.

This is the scenario: I have my laptop on my right and my Son on my left, he decides that he wants to kick the laptop, so does, and before i can grab it, it's on the floor. The screen stays backlit but theres nothing on it. I reboot hoping that everything will be ok but it isn't. It posts ok and then attempts to boot with the windows 7 text on the screen. Normally after a few seconds the flying orbs come in and make the windows logo, but on this occasion doesnt. So i reboot again and it then gives me the option for startup repair. I run it and it takes an absolute age but finally finishes unsuccessfully. I read through the log and to my surprise most checks complete fine, apart from something called sptd.sys. I google this on my iphone and see a tutorial to make an ubuntu live cd and remove the file as it is only to do with daemon tools. I follow the instuctions remove the file and reboot. I now get the full windows logo so i think ive fixed it but then it just restarts. Next i try pressing f8 on boot and try booting into safe mode which doesnt work. I then tried inserting my windows 7 boot disk and starting a recovery which also doesnt work. I tired running startup repair again just in case but now that doesnt even run. The hard drive itself doesnt seem to be damaged as i can access it using ubuntu so i know i can at least backup my stuff if i DO need to reinstall windows but would obviously prefer not to. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Many thanks in advance

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
try pulling the harddrive then reinserting it making sure it is securely in place.
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:28 PM

i forgot to mention that i had already tried that but unfortunatley did not work
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Certifiable Bum

thats a bummer...unfortunately it does sound like a possible bad drive - especially if you were able to boot to ubuntu live cd and run it. Try downloading the harddrives manufacturers diagnostic utility and run it. http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Forgive my level of dumbness but if the drive was damaged, would it then not be accessable via ubuntu? I booted tot the ubuntu GUI which recognised the laptop HDD which i was able to access without any issues. If i backed up my data and did a freash install of windows, do you think it would be likley to work?
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Certifiable Bum

parts of the drive could be good and parts of the drive could be bad. You can have damaged and it would not affect viewing it from other operating systems but it could prevent booting or cause other issues with the installed os. That is why I suggested running the drive diagnostic from the drive manufacturer. If the diagnostic shows nothing wrong then at least that possible cause is eliminated. You could try reinstalling but personally I would not trust the drive with anything important until at least a diagnostic utility has been run on it.

Last edited by renegade600; October 19th, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:29 PM

I get ya. I have just ordered a 1TB portable hard drive for backups and have another drive i can use in my laptop. i cant run diagnostics because the drive is made by toshiba and they currently dont have any diagnosics tools available according to link you gave me boooooooo
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Certifiable Bum

try using the Hitachi's diagnostic utility
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:19 AM

I didnt get your message until this morning but i connected my drive to my main computer and proceeded to try and backup my users folder, which proved difficult to say the least. MOST of my files moved over ok but the odd few wouldnt. I would get the error message Cyclic redundancy check. I skipped those files as most of them were not important to me and transfered the rest.

What i may do, dispite this technically being my fault, is to contact Toshiba (as my laptop is still under warrenty) and see if i can get a replacement, making out "it just stopped booting".

It's also worth noting that i ran checkdisk using my windows xp drive which corrected numerous errors but then halted at step 4 of 5 and would not continue. I left it for half an hour with it remaining at 0% on step 4 for the duration. I will give Hitachi's disk checking utility a go just in case i can rescue any extra files.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM

Just a quick update. I called the warranty company who said they could arrange someone to come and pick up the laptop and look at it which is good news. The only thing that worried me is that he said if they found that it was a software fault rather than a hardware fault then i woulnt be covered and i would have to pay 75 plus VAT.

This is the guys explination of what i should do (i dont agree with him by the way):

The laptop was preloaded with vista which i hate so i formatted when i first got the computer and installed windows xp instead. When windows 7 came out, i thought i would give it a whirl so purchased and installed it. As soon as i said this, he was like "oh, well there you go then, these systems were built with visa in mind and most of the people who have called us that have installed windows 7 get these sort of problems. He also stated that microsoft should made windows 7 only machines because they rarley run properly on any other machine (who trained this guy??!!) I also told him about the Cyclic redundancy check issue which he said was prodominantly software related??

Anyhoo!, rather than risk it i am going to use my recovery cd to get visa back on there (if it works) and give it a whirl. If it works great, if not ill send it off.
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:08 PM

O/S: Linux
I see you use Ubuntu, There is a disk utility (called disc utility) that will give you the status of you hard drives if you wish....
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagGz View Post
Forgive my level of dumbness but if the drive was damaged, would it then not be accessable via ubuntu? I booted tot the ubuntu GUI which recognised the laptop HDD which i was able to access without any issues. If i backed up my data and did a freash install of windows, do you think it would be likley to work?
Ubuntu will sometimes identify then ignore ignore the bad sections imho..
Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM

I tried using the recovery cd to install windows xp again and it loaded setup files as usual and then rebooted as normal. It then came up with a bsod with the following:

STOP: C0000221 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR \SYSTEM ROOT\SYSTEM32\NTDLL.DLL

I then tried to do the same thing with the winows 7 installation disk to see if that made a difference. It again like XP loaded the setup files, rebooted and then proceeded with the setup checklist of:

COPYING WINDOWS FILES (completes ok)
EXPANDING WINDOWS FILES (completes ok)
INSTALLING FEATURES (completes ok)

The installation process now halts here with no further HDD activity.

INSTALLING UPDATES
COMPLETING INSTALLATION

I think it's pretty safe to say this is a dead drive no? A second opinion would be great, thanks.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
Certifiable Bum

did you ever run a disk diagnostic utility as previously suggested?
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM

I didn't but that was only because i have one working pc however the rewriter is broken so i cant burn any cd's. I have asked a friend to burn it for me and ill see what happens.