Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old November 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM

Unhappy Bios upgrade for Sony battery Phoenix Secure Winflash error 1275

I have a laptop Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E, upgraded to Windows 7 64bit from Vista 32. My bios is from Phoenix Technologies Version R0050J7.

Purchased a Sony battery and got a little CD BPS8-S and instructions to upgrade BIOS for Sony battery. The battery shows as 46% available (plugged in, not charging). I followed instructions but it starts a BIOS backup and shortly after I get a message from Phoenix Secure WinFlash "Cannot load driver C:\....phlashnt.sys. This driver has been blocked from loading. Error code:1275.”

I had an after market battery before with the same CD but with instructions to load directly from CD, opposed to this one asking to copy setup to computer and install after in file mode not patch mode. That one worked ok but it started to die after I installed Windows 7 64bit.

I was told that BIOS is up-to-date by BiosAgentsPlus and the manufacturer/Seller is hiding in Singapore with no solution after 7 days. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old September 7th, 2011, 09:23 PM

im having the same exact problem....i bought a non-oem replacement battery for a sony vaio vgn-nr498e...the one from sony was $130...anyone have any ideas? I get the same error.
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:31 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
ISBMgr.exe is the culprit.

Start | Run type in msconfig hit <ok>

Go to the Start-Up TAB

find the ISBMGR entry and uncheck it, hit Apply

Now reboot, a message will come up telling you what you did, check box don't show again. It will then boot up normally, see if that fixes it.
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:17 AM

I dont have that installed, I formatted when I upgraded from Vista to 7 (64-bit), and never reinstalled all that vaio bloatware. I'll try running it in safe mode, just in case. Doesnt sony offer some kind of bios update utility? Maybe i can use that and just point it to the .dat file? I read newer sony BIOS's block it...can I downgrade the bios back to an earlier one? I dont remember if i ever updated the bios on this, I cant imagine how considering I cant find a BIOS update utility anywhere on their site for my model (VGN-NR498E). I also noticed that some of the third party batteries stated that their not compatible with 64-bit...but the one I bought had no mention of anything like that (I read some models that werent compatible, my model wasnt one of them). Any help is greatly appreciated...really dont wanna buy $140 sony battery... (cant let them win!)

edit: well, i found a copy of Winphlash, but it only opens .rom, .ro2, .wph and .wp2 files....the file that came with the battery isnt just a bios ROM, its their own update package... (its called BIOSROM.DAT in their software). I was hoping maybe I could just flash it with different software somehow... :\

edit edit: well i tracked down the .ROM file in the program, and tried to do it with winphlash, and get the SAME error.

Last edited by robd007; September 9th, 2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typos
Old September 10th, 2011, 07:26 PM

The package that came with the battery, you indicated was BIOSROM.DAT, was it on a CD, should have a installer package with it.

BIOS update files generally are *.BIN. DAT files are program specific.
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:54 AM

i understand that i was trying to find a workaround. i guess this is hopeless? is the 64bit the prblem?
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:48 PM

Could be as the cd that came with the battery probably is 32 bit. Normally would install. The ISB Utility from Sony is the rpogram (Sony) that detects the battery and stops it from recognizing a non-oem battery.

Do a search for ISBMGR as you indicated may not have it.

LOL found this from SONY:

The "Notebook Utilities" from Sony contains the Battery Checker(ISB Utility) which is currently not compatible with Windows 7.That is the main reason why you are receiving that error message.ISB Utility, from Sony, is a component used by the company's devices for their power management utility. The Battery Checker (ISB Utility) is a utility that checks to make sure the user is using a authentic Sony Battery to keep our VAIO Customer safe because there are third party battery that is being sold as authentic Sony Battery (It's actually a fake Sony Batteries) which could cause harm to
To disable the ISB utility, follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start, type ‘msconfig’ and then select the ‘Startup Tab’,
2. Deselect the "ISB Utility" from the startup.
3. Restart the computer.
3. Restart the computer.
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:27 PM

PHLASHNT.SYS introuvable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Could be as the cd that came with the battery probably is 32 bit. Normally would install. The ISB Utility from Sony is the rpogram (Sony) that detects the battery and stops it from recognizing a non-oem battery.

Do a search for ISBMGR as you indicated may not have it.

LOL found this from SONY:

The "Notebook Utilities" from Sony contains the Battery Checker(ISB Utility) which is currently not compatible with Windows 7.That is the main reason why you are receiving that error message.ISB Utility, from Sony, is a component used by the company's devices for their power management utility. The Battery Checker (ISB Utility) is a utility that checks to make sure the user is using a authentic Sony Battery to keep our VAIO Customer safe because there are third party battery that is being sold as authentic Sony Battery (It's actually a fake Sony Batteries) which could cause harm to
To disable the ISB utility, follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start, type ‘msconfig’ and then select the ‘Startup Tab’,
2. Deselect the "ISB Utility" from the startup.
3. Restart the computer.
3. Restart the computer.
Bonjour, j'ai exactement ce problème mais ISB Utilty n'est pas dans la liste de Démarrage.
J'ai le messsage : cannot load driver PHLASHNT.SYS error code 1275
PC SONY VGN-FZ38M Windows 7, batterie OEM
Je ne sais plus quoi faire
Merci
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:20 AM

Sorry don't speak French can you post in English?
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Hello guys I have a similar problem wondering if you could help. Sony Vaio NR11Z/S...

I have a sony vaio laptop and my battery had been bust for a while, like completely dead not charging at all so I was just using my laptop through the mains.
Today I eventually got myself another battery. An aftermarket one as the sony ones are waaay to expensive and as my laptop is over a year old they dont stock them anymore.
Basically, when I got my new battery got an installation disc and instructions. Which said that I would need to update the BIOS on the laptop to inform it had a different battery, I was already aware of this. Unfortunately when I went to update the BIOS it says I can't as the battery has 0% charge (as expected for brand new) BUT at the same time I can't charge it cause the BIOS has not been updated to the new battery.

Any ideas? I have updated my BIOS to the latest one from Sony but nothing...
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:17 AM

I ran into the same issue, after half a day I figured it out.

It was due to 64 bit windows 7.

easiest way is to make a boot CD and run Mini WinXP.
I simply booted off this CD and ran the BIOS update.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hi...ootCD.15.0.zip

I'd thought I'd share!!

Really easy!
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:12 PM

I have solved the issue

Hello,
I got really frustrated with this issue.
My case was that I have installed Windows 7 64 bit
After searching in lots of forums nothing.
It was not related to ISB Utility cause it is not even installed in my Vaio
The solution to run a Mini Windows from a Live CD or USB did not work at all becuase the BIOS upgrade app did not work.
It is not a problem related to administrator account. I created an administrator account and it did not worked too.
So finally the solution it worked for me was to grab a different HD.
Swap the Windows 7 64 HD from the other one and keep it in a safe place.
Install a new Windows 32 bits from scratch.
Suggestion: Not burn a new DVD. Just put the ISO in a USB (seek in google how to do it) and this way you don't waste a DVD and the installation time is very fast.
Finnaly just run the BIOS upgrade app. and it worked.
Last step, replace the Windows 32 HD with the old Windows 64 HD and have fun!
Hope this post is usefull to the people and save a lot of hours like I did.
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:42 AM

I recently purchased a third-party battery for my Sony Vaio and cannot install it due to my Laptop being a Windows 7 64 bit, encountering the same problems as well. Before I proceeded with ferm's post, I noticed something.

When I had my old, dead battery plugged into my laptop, it wouldn't turn on at all. Now, when I plug in the third-party battery that cannot install properly, it works, despite the fact that I was unable to install it. I am able to transport my laptop to a different position without needing to use the power plug. However, I encountered a problem. Whenever I turned off the laptop or go into Hibernate mode with the battery inserted, it won't turn back on unless I detach the battery. Once I detach it, I plug in the power plug, turn it on, log in, plug back in the third-party battery, and it works again.

I understand that it is very convenient that it works like this, but there are three major questions that came to my mind before I proceed to keep doing this.
1. If the third-party battery works while the old battery doesn't, does it mean I should keep using it?
2. Is the battery even charging?
3. How much harm is the battery causing to my laptop since it works, but not installed properly?

Note: The battery STILL encounters the same installation problems that were previously stated within this post.

Last edited by Abt1992; April 6th, 2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Needed to remention the fact that the battery did not install correctly and still encountered the same installation problems.
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM

Abt1992,
I don't know if I understand your point.
With the new battery is normal that it works without being powered cause the battery comes charged partially.
The problem is if your BIOS is not detecting the battery as a original Sony one, it won't let you charge it and in some case it won't let you turn on the laptop.
Regarding your question about harm, I don't know the impact. So far, my laptop is working ok but I can't guarantee that this OEM battery can damage it in the future. I don't see it probably.
For me I prefer to assume the risk.
Regards
Old June 17th, 2012, 02:44 PM

Windows 32 sony battery fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferm View Post
hello,
i got really frustrated with this issue.
My case was that i have installed windows 7 64 bit
after searching in lots of forums nothing.
It was not related to isb utility cause it is not even installed in my vaio
the solution to run a mini windows from a live cd or usb did not work at all becuase the bios upgrade app did not work.
It is not a problem related to administrator account. I created an administrator account and it did not worked too.
So finally the solution it worked for me was to grab a different hd.
Swap the windows 7 64 hd from the other one and keep it in a safe place.
Install a new windows 32 bits from scratch.
Suggestion: Not burn a new dvd. Just put the iso in a usb (seek in google how to do it) and this way you don't waste a dvd and the installation time is very fast.
Finnaly just run the bios upgrade app. And it worked.
Last step, replace the windows 32 hd with the old windows 64 hd and have fun!
Hope this post is usefull to the people and save a lot of hours like i did.
thanks for your help....i have been working on this battery fix for a few weeks after buying a after market battery..the bios whould not update..try and try checking all kinds of forums..when i read yor post it made sense...so i got a old hdd,had a copy of w/32,installed an i almost died....it worked...i cant beleve it worked..i tried everything,,,,installing and uninstalling software..my wife was about to kill me..everyday come home from work..try and try..then i seen this post..pat yourself on you back..thanks...