Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Gaming

Notices

Topic Tools
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
HELP!!!! (sigh)

My laptop has miffed everyone I've had look at it. I'm really at a loss.

I am running Windows vista home premium Service pack 2
Manufacturer: ... Hewlett-Packard
Model: ... HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC
Processor: ...Intel(R) core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
Memory (RAM): ... 4.00 GB
System type: ... 64-bit Operating System

If I play ANY game even some really older ones with low graphics I lag horribly. I never had any problems at all since I've had this comp. I've always had great graphics and no lag. It was like one day it was great and the next it was laggy. My PC never leaves my desk so its very well taken care of. If I log onto my Sims game it takes forever for it to load then a hour for the my char to walk 2 steps. The same with World of Warcraft.
I get like 1 or 2 fps!!! There has to be something I can do. (Grrr) I've also noticed pages loading really slow too. Plus if I try to restart my comp, it wont. It looks like it tries but when my comp is turned off you have to wait for 5 minutes to turn it back on. I have ran every check I can find and so has the computer shop and nothing is ever found... It am think says everything is in working order. I have ran 3 different anti-malware programs found a few odds and ends but nothing major. All my drivers are up to date also. I went to each components maker and downloaded all updates needed. (Sigh)
I have been working on this for just about two months with no results. If anyone has any Ideas I would VERY much appreciate your help.

Old December 28th, 2010, 02:52 AM

Checking to see if your harddrive is defragmented is probably a good first step. One of the programs recommended for this by moderators is Defraggler. It has a fast defragment that can do it much faster than the one that comes with your computer. You can download it here. http://www.piriform.com/
If your computer is having that much trouble, just clicking on Analyze is a good first step to see whether there's actually a problem with harddrive fragmentation or not. If there is, run it. If not, don't bother with a defragment as it may take a while if your system is running slow.

Another good clean up step is to download and run CCleaner to hunt for any junk that's just floating around in your registry. You can get it from the same site you get deffragler from.