Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:59 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Exclamation Input Signal Out of Range on Monitor..

I am using an HP w2207 LCD monitor connected through DVI to a Radeon 4670.
I have been using 1680x1050 resolution @ 60hz which is the best resolution for my monitor.

Now whenever I use this resolution, my monitor says "Input Signal Out of Range, switch to 1680x1050 @60hz. Sometimes the screen dosnt always strech to the right side of my monitor, there is about an inch or two of black space. Sometimes the resolution is displayed correctly, but my monitor always gives the same message in that resolution, and will flicker on and off. (I am using 1280x768 now because 1680x1050 is UNUSABLE.)

someone please help, I have downloaded latest drivers for my monitor and video card

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Are you running more than one monitor?

Open catalyst control center and open the desktop & displays page. There's a little black arrow on the monitor (in the middle of the window), click on it and select properties, select your resolution and make sure the refresh rate is set to 60Hz.
(your monitor should have it's own settings menu accessed by the buttons on the front, make sure those are correct.)

If that doesn't work, click on the options menu at the top of CCC, and select preferences and then reset to factory defaults. That should clear whatever setting is causing the problem. You'll have to go back in and redo your custom settings though.
and finally if that doesn't work try the following:

1. Download and install Driversweeper (bur don't use it yet)
2. Uninstall your drivers using the uninstaller in add/remove programs
3. boot into safe mode
4. Now run driver sweeper (just be carefull not to remove your mouse or sound drivers.)
5. once driversweeper is done, reboot.
6. reinstall your ATI drivers.
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:31 AM

Right now im not running a 2nd monitor, but often I plug my projector into my 2nd DVI port on my video card through a VGA to DVI adapter.

No changes with CCC have fixed it, so im going to try driversweeper.

will post with results
Old January 19th, 2011, 06:59 AM

Did as MaDef instructed. Still have the underlying problem which is that 1680x1050 is unusable because my monitor gives the same message as before. 1600x1000 however is usable but id like my monitors native resolution. Would re-installing windows vista and then re-installing the drivers work?

thanks
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM

I went back through CCC, on the attributes tab for the monitor check your DVI settings.

Try the "reduce DVI frequency setting", it's supposed to resolve the no display problem at high resolutions.
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:35 AM

checked the box. applied. went into 1680x1050. finally the display is tight to the edges of my monitor, and im not getting the input signal out of range message.

unfortunately 1680x1050 remains unusable because my monitor keeps giving me a black screen after about a second or two of display and keeps repeating.

If I have to re-install windows, its not a problem but it would be nice if there was a solution which didn't take as much time and effort.
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:02 AM

You shouldn't be having this much trouble with a display. However it's my understanding that HP provides a monitor driver for compatibility reasons. You might want to install/reinstall the monitor driver.
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:40 AM

I AGREE it should just work.. the week after I got my monitor I noticed a dead pixel. Tried to take it back but THEY WOULDN'T LET ME. A few months later somehow it manifested into an ENTIRE COLUMN of dead pixels.

The latest drivers on the site give me the same problem. (I cant download any previous ones, the HP site says "access denied!" which means "F*CK YOU") I try to install the drivers that came with the monitor on a CD but it says "An error occurred while installing the display drivers." (refer back to previous statement)

EDIT: Tried to put it in 1680x1050, magically fixed itself! No more problems as of right now, but i'm going to reboot to make sure it stays that way.
thanks to MaDef for all the help and support

Last edited by Shavo_Tech; January 20th, 2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:30 AM

I hope it sticks, The only HP hardware I've ever had luck with are their printers.
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:22 PM

HP:
Horrible Problems
Heavy Paperweight
Hong Kong Pirates

Any others?