Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:42 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Help With Overclocking Using CCC (catalyst control center)

Hello,

I am wondering if I would be able to overclock my ATI Sapphire Radeon HD6850 graphics card for a few extra fps on games like crysis, oblivion ect. I am not very good with computers so I am not sure how much to over clock the card.

I only want a slight performance increase because I am scared that because my brother tends to play games for long periods at a time (5 hours+) it could overheat and need replacing.

My case is a cooler master cm690 ll advanced and the temp of my graphics card is around 42 degrees Celsius when idle and can get to around 66-72 at the highest.

At the moment the High Performance GPU clock settings are set to 775mhz and can be set to a max of 850.

High Performance memory clock settings are set to 1000mhz and can be set to a max of 1200mhz.

There is also an auto-tune feature and would this be recommended? And what temperature should be the maximum that i should let my card get up to?

So basically I was wanting to know what speeds i could set my graphics card to safely. I want to be very safe on this one as I do not have a good cooling system and do not want to have to replace a broken computer.

Thanks in advance.
Vettori.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:48 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Hi and welcome to CTH.
Quote:
I do not have a good cooling system and do not want to have to replace a broken computer
In that case you should not be thinking of overclocking. End of story.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:52 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

So changing any of these values even slightly could break my computer?
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:43 AM

Yes, they could. Exceeding 80 degrees celsius can damage your graphics card pretty severely and possibly overheat it to the point of burning it out. And if your already pushing 72 degrees celsius the performance boost you'd get before overheating would be EXTREMELY negligable. You wanna see temps in the 40's during a high end load, possibly 50's if your thinking of overlocking.