Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:15 PM

MIDI in Windows 98 SE in virtual machine

Should this go in here or Applications?

I'm running Windows 98 SE in Virtual PC 2007, with Windows 7 as host. (I've heard that VPC 2007 does not officially support that host or guest, but also that it is the last version that gives full functionality for a Windows 98 guest).

Basically the machine makes MIDI files sound terribly distorted. It emulates a Soundblaster 16 for sound output and is using the drivers that came with the boot disk.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old February 15th, 2011, 06:16 AM

After some digging, it seems this is more of a Virtual PC problem than a Windows 98 problem. Figures.

I'll just put a summary here for future reference: To get better MIDI playback in Virtual PC, install a software synthesizer (TiMidity++ Windows Synthesizer is free, but may not work on Win9x) on the guest OS and select that as the default MIDI output device. Specifics depend on the software synthesizer and guest OS.
Old February 19th, 2011, 07:30 AM

I use Win98se and i notice the same thing your reporting.. (Unless i turn the master control for MIDI files down (Right now i have MIDI set @ the 4th line and most MIDI files sound OK @ this level))
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:32 AM

If that works, it works. Free software synthesizers that work on Win9x systems are rare. There's an old one called WinGroove that's supposed to be shareware, but has a beta that should be legal to use.