Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 17th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Question Administrator/user.. "access denied!"

I recently bought a used mini laptop and im able to log in to the administrator account, then when windows is opened, it shows me the desktop without a background saying "active desktop recovery" followed by troubleshooting steps to get it back.. But the thing is, that it tells me to right click the desktop, then on "properties".. When i click on properties, it shows me that pop up message from "administrator" saying "access denied! You don't have enough words to enable this function." i try going to user accounts, same message, anything i try to click from control panel, that same message.. I cant open up user accounts, i cant use internet, i cant add or remove programs because i get that same message all the time! What can i do to use my new laptop normally without being locked out?? I have googled this message, but i dont get many results..

Old March 17th, 2012, 06:06 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Sounds like previous owner had some restrictions on it. Try

Start | Settings | Point to Active Desktop and then click View as Web Page

No then try;

Start | Run type in

regedit and hit <enter>

Clicking on the + signs navigate to the following key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplo rer\Desktop\SafeMode\Components
  1. Select the value DeskHtmlVersion
  2. Select the Decimal radial button
  3. Change the value of 272 to 0
May need to reboot

No

Then download and run this file

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Line #16 on the left.
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:02 AM

Question No luck with troubleshooting steps.. Yet..

HI. OK.. AS FOR THE FIRST OPTION.. I CLICKED ON START, BUT I COULDNT FIND THE "SETTINGS" OPTION ON THE START MENU.. I MOVED ON TO THE SECOND OPTION, I TYPED REGEDIT AND AS SOON AS I HIT ENTER, I GOT THAT MESSAGE AGAIN.. TITLED (ADMINISTRATOR) AND SAYS "ACCESS DENIED! YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER WORDS TO ENABLE THIS FUNCTION." ONLY GIVES ME THE OPTION TO X OUT OR CLICK "OK".. LAST, I COULDNT DOWNLOAD THE FILE http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm BECAUSE INTERNET IS RESTRICTED TOO. IT SHOWS ITS CONNECTED TO MY WIFI, BUT IT GIVES ME A BLANK PAGE.