Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:20 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Do you leave the computer on 24/7? When not in use do you have it in "Sleep Mode? You can also set the monitor to turn off due to inactivity after a period of time. I would not use a screen saver, looks pretty but uses the video card a lot.

To access power plan options, type power settings into the search bar in the Start Menu and hit Enter.

The Power Options screen opens and from here you can select from three predefined plans–Balanced, Power saver, or High performance.

Click on Choose what the power button does and you can tweak several options such as Requiring a password on wakeup and what the power button on the computer does. If you set When I press the power button to Do nothing, you won’t have a problem with the PC shutting down when you accidently hit the power button.

To change any one of the predefined power plans click on Change plan settings.

Then you can change the amount of inactive time before the monitor is turned off or the computer goes into Sleep mode.

Old May 27th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

To answer your first question, heat is probably the biggest factor in determining the life span of electronics, so don't overclock the card, make sure the pc case has good airflow through it, and clean out the inside of the case on a regular basis. (how often you need to clean the inside out depends on where it's located and how much dust accumulates inside the case.) I generally blow out the inside of the case on my systems every 2 months.

As for your second question, you can't turn off the video card while the pc is in use, but you can turn off your monitor either manually, or by using the power options in control panel. You can also go one step further and use something like MSI Afterburner to control the clock speeds and power consumption of the card.