Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:17 AM

Exclamation Dell Inspiron M5030 beeps 7 times, won't start up

My Dell Inspiron M5030 (which is out of warranty) has stopped working. When I try to turn it on, it just beeps 7 times, pauses for a couple seconds, beeps 7 more times, and continues until I press the power button again. I did some research and apparently a Dell laptop beeping 7 times and not starting up means that there is a processor failure. Does this mean I need a new processor? If that is not necessary, is there anything I can try to get it working again? I'm typing this from our desktop computer, but I need my laptop working again ASAP for university classes.

I can't call Dell tech support because they want me to pay an arm and a leg just for one call.

What doesn't work: Nothing works. Nothing is on the screen and it beeps 7 times.
What does work: Nothing
What have you tried: I removed the battery, power cord and everything in the USB ports, then I held the power button for 30 seconds, and after that, I plugged just the power cord back in and tried to start it up again. I just got the same 7 beeps.

Last edited by Anneliese; February 1st, 2013 at 01:21 AM.

Old February 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

a Quick google search seems to indicate that there is a problem with that model laptop, seems to be a solder issue on the mainboard rather than a dead cpu.
Dell support forums

You may be able to force Dell to 'fix' the laptop at no cost even though it's out of warranty (due to the fact that it's a prevalent problem with that model). You can also try a reflow solder repair, but unless you know what you are doing I wouldn't suggest it since you risk bricking the board. You may be able to find a pc repair shop that can do it.
but I question whether that would be cost effective. The same holds true for replacing the motherboard. Your best option might be to just buy another laptop.
Old February 1st, 2013, 05:04 PM

Hello Anneliese!

To answer your question, the 7 beeps means a processor problem. However, rarely does the processor gets damage. In many cases, replacing the motherboard usually resolves the issue on 7 beeps. Since, you are no longer in warranty, you may have to replace the motherboard there. If you want to find the costing and see if it is economical to replace the motherboard or just get a new system, please give us a call at 1-800-456-3355 or 1-800-822-8965. These are toll free numbers.

Dennis from DELL Tech support
Old February 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
gots troll?

Two posts, Ed?

Gots damage?

Last edited by JoJo Gunn; February 1st, 2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: additional crowd pleasing dialog
Old February 1st, 2013, 05:35 PM

Sorry ...I actually saw it...First time to post here. Can you show me how to delete the other post.
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:25 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Dennis from DELL Tech support

Although the info you posted may be correct, and the 800 numbers are "Free", a service call, as the poster indicates costs. It generally is not economical to replace a motherboard on a laptop bought directly from DELL, for what you would spend you can get a whole laptop, maybe not the same one but spending $300 vice buying a certified pre-owned for $550 is not economical to me.

There are repair shops out there that can fix the motherboard for under $100.00, a new board is several hundred dollars. EXAMPLE, although we would not promote EBAY this is just an example.

As MaDef indicates this model has a history with the board.

Anneliese, since you have access to a desktop your one option is to remove the hard drive from the laptop and put it in a USB enclosure and hook up to desktop. This way you can get any important documents/photo's etc off of it.

You can get a used processor for that laptop for about $30, but the problem may not be the processor but the motherboard itself.

It may be worth emailing the EBAY one and describe the symptoms and ask if it can be fixed..

edkcii I have removed the duplicate post, if you continue to just post the DELL support numbers and not offer to help the member, we consider this trolling and your post(s) will be removed. This is a member help member site not a place to promote manufactures help, particular one that is known to route their support overseas.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:58 AM

Murf = Thank you for removing the duplicate post. My apologies for posting the DELL support numbers. I will be more helpful here in this site next time. I also checked the cost of the motherboard for the M5030 and it is $ 169.99 without taxes and shipping costs. If labor is included there, it would no longer be indeed economical. It would probably be wise getting a new system. Regards!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:36 AM

edkcii - I called the numbers you posted and they want me to pay for a warranty just for tech support on a computer that might already be too far gone anyway. That is not a "free" number. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau unless Dell can provide fair, reliable help, as making a customer pay for tech support on a dead computer and then pay for the parts to fix that obviously flawed computer (since it's a common problem with the model) is NOT a quality of a good business. I'll let you know what the Better Business Bureau says unless you can provide me with a more reasonable solution. Thank you.

Everyone else - Thanks for all your help. I have a question. I checked Ebay for Dell Inspiron M5030 motherboards and found a vendor that sells them for 50-something dollars, as well as other vendors that sell them for a little more. I can give you a link if you could make sure it's the right kind and coming from a reliable source. I really don't know what to look for. I know some people who may be able to install it, but I will contact them before I make any purchases just to be sure that they know what to do. If I remember correctly, the computer was about $370 new, so if I can get a $50-something motherboard and have a friend install it for a fair price (I have a few friends and family members who have built their own computers), it would probably be cheaper than getting a new computer. I'd like to get a better computer, but as a university student, I just can't afford a quality laptop. Is there any possible way this computer could be fixed for under $100?

Last edited by Anneliese; February 2nd, 2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:27 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Did you check the link I provided from EBAY? Laptop motherboards are not that easy to replace, have done a few myself. Anyone that has had a laptop completely torn apart can probably replace the motherboard. If you post a link we can certainly check it out for you.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:35 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
In my opinion, since the whole unit brand new was under 400 bucks, I'd reluctantly give it away for parts or something and get another new one.

It's a shame how nowadays the landfills are overflowing with items (VCR's and DVD recorders and microwaves and TV's and laptops) that costs more to repair than it would be to just buy another one with a warranty.

Some things could easily be built modular - in other words, they could have standardized access doors and common parts could be accessed and replaced. That's why I hold onto my old desktops. I can't believe how Apple has sold quadrillions of mp3 players that you can't replace either the memory card or battery like you can with a camera.

Off my soapbox....

Oh, and good luck.
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:59 PM

Hello,
My daughter laptop had this same issue and I just had it fixed. Took it to a locate computer repair shop. The Tech reflowed the video chip. The cost was $100. The Tech stated that this is a common issue with some Dell's laptops. Now that the laptop is working, he strongly suggested I purchase a cooling fan and always use the laptop on a flat surface. He stated smothering the internal cooling fan causes the laptop to heat up which in turn causes the solder that holds the video chip in place to soften and eventually disconnect. Hope this helps!
Old May 24th, 2013, 02:03 AM

7 beeps on dell m5030 answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneliese View Post
My Dell Inspiron M5030 (which is out of warranty) has stopped working. When I try to turn it on, it just beeps 7 times, pauses for a couple seconds, beeps 7 more times, and continues until I press the power button again. I did some research and apparently a Dell laptop beeping 7 times and not starting up means that there is a processor failure. Does this mean I need a new processor? If that is not necessary, is there anything I can try to get it working again? I'm typing this from our desktop computer, but I need my laptop working again ASAP for university classes.

I can't call Dell tech support because they want me to pay an arm and a leg just for one call.

What doesn't work: Nothing works. Nothing is on the screen and it beeps 7 times.
What does work: Nothing
What have you tried: I removed the battery, power cord and everything in the USB ports, then I held the power button for 30 seconds, and after that, I plugged just the power cord back in and tried to start it up again. I just got the same 7 beeps.

i called dell and blew up on them told them i was goona report them to the better buiness and they sent me a box within 24 hrs i sent my laptop back and they put a new mother board and new battery in it......works like brand new again....also i had no warranty
Old May 24th, 2013, 02:14 AM

I also had this same issue and no warranty.I called dell and flipped out on them told them i was gonna report them to the better buisness and within 24 hours i had a box to send my laptop back to them.They put a new motherboard and new battery in it.When you call you must be very stern with them or will get nowere.Hope this helps
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:33 PM

Dell 7 beeps

Mine doing same thing. Will be 2 years old in August. I called Dell this AM and mentioned it was a known issue all over Internet. Dell is shipping box for me to send back for motherboard replacement! No charge! We will see if Dell comes thru!
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:01 PM

Same Thing Happened on Two Different Laptops - Same Day?!?

So I'm REALLY trying hard to not think the worst as far as Dell is concerned.

I bought 2 Dell Inspiron laptops at the same time; one for each nephew a couple of years ago. The nephews are cousins, not brothers - I only mention this because they don't live in the same house - and both laptops began making the 7-beep noise the EXACT same night, within 20 minutes of each other!! One nephew called me, the other sent a text message!

How does THAT happen?? Awfully "strange"...

I searched online for a solution and found a video that offered a quick fix by letting the laptop beep consistently for at least 15 minutes, cutting it off, then cutting it right back on again.

I had each nephew try it, and it worked on one but not the other. Then 5 days later, the one that started working again did the same thing, only this time the quick fix didn't work.

The implications have really soured me on purchasing ANY Dell product. I WILL give Dell an opportunity to address this issue; I think that's only fair. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.