Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:45 AM

Awl2012

Has anyone run into this problem. AWL2012 file opens when my pc boots ups but i can't find this file in the startup. Does anyone know where i can find this file and stop it from opening with the bootup? Thanks for your help.

Old February 14th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I dont have the slightest idea of what awl2012 is but if it is a program you can go into the program itself and see if there is a way to disable run at startup.
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:28 PM

Welcome to CTH

Are you using AVG anti-Virus?
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:54 AM

Murf, yes i am using AVG anti-virus.
renegade600, i looked for where u said but couldn't find it there.
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:18 AM

See if you have the following:

c:\users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\AVG\AWL2012, if you do, uninstall AVG and reinstall it.
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:06 AM

AWL2012 nuisance. I found a very easy DIY cure.

I know this is an old topic but, after an AVG2013 update in September of free AVG2013, both computers here had the same annoying problem of a folder called AWL2012 appearing in a window on the desktop towards the end of the start up processes. I checked most nerdy references on the Internet to find that it seemed impossible to clear this and people were suggesting such dangerous remedies as tampering with the Registry files etc.

The remedy is simple. If you "explore" the contents of the AWL2012 yellow folder, then look at the "properties" of each file in that folder and it has never been accessed until you checked it, it seems you are safe to delete the entire AWL2012 folder.

Mine showed that each file had been created in Jan 2013 and then not accessed until today Nov 1st. So, I deleted the yellow folder AWL2012 and this has totally cured the problem. I then did this for the user of the other PC and theirs is cured too and it has had no effect at all on the operation of the free AVG 2014, which we now have installed.

Note that this was done after AVG updated from 2013 to 2014. I waited for that update in case AVG had realised they had a glitch but they had not.

It worked for me on two different model computers running slightly different versions of XP .

Hope it works for you but do not empty your re-cycle bin until you have done a restart and checked all is well.
Old January 30th, 2014, 08:27 AM

Awl2012

Thank you very much King Bill for this solution. I had the same problem in about the same configuration as yours (Windows XP). I looked in my folder "Application Data" as you suggested, and I found two yellow folders of AVG: one called "AVG", -- which only contained the notorious AWL2012 folder --, and one called AVG2014. Since I suspected that the first one "AVG" was only an obsolete, old and double version of my new AVG2014, I deleted that first one called "AVG" (and automatically the folder AWL2012 inside with it). I rebooted, and my problem was solved.

Since I am writing from Belgium, I will translate all this now in Dutch language below, so other readers on this forum who do not understand English but only Dutch can benefit from this as well.

In Dutch language :

Erg bedankt King Bill voor deze oplossing. Ik had hetzelfde probleem in ongeveer dezelfde configuratie als die van u (Windows XP). Ik keek in mijn folder "Application Data" zoals jij suggereerde, en ik vond twee gele folders van AVG : één genaamd "AVG", -- die enkel de beruchte AWL2012 bevatte --, en één genaamd AVG2014. Gezien ik vermoedde dat de eerste "AVG" enkel een overbodige, oude en dubbele versie van mijn nieuwe AVG2014 was, verwijderde ik die eerste genaamd "AVG" (en daarmee ook automatisch de folder AWL2012). Ik startte opnieuw op, en mijn probleem was opgelost.