Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:08 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Welcome come back if you decide to put in the larger drive.

Old May 31st, 2013, 11:19 PM

wrong OS

I still run the E1705 after my son offered to buy the latest and greastest from Dell. Up thru 2010-2011, they were the easiest laptops to rebuild. I read your using windows XP. By upgrading to win 7 x64, the OS will COMPLETELY utilize both cores and as much memory as the motherboard can physically manage. Do the upgrade and I garantee you will have a laptop that still holds its own againest anything current. BTW, make sure you keep both fans in perfect running condition!
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:06 AM

Well that laptop max memory is 2gb and if you look at the Dell site there are no drivers for Win7..I don't think running Win 7 will have better performance than XP, if you could find drivers for it. XP sp2 utilizes both cores as well as Win 7. So don't understand the comment.
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Well that laptop max memory is 2gb and if you look at the Dell site there are no drivers for Win7..I don't think running Win 7 will have better performance than XP, if you could find drivers for it. XP sp2 utilizes both cores as well as Win 7. So don't understand the comment.
Master, I think mx memory is 4gb. I have 4gb on.

XP is still fine with me now! If sp2 utilizes both cores, then it sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksbanyon
...they were the easiest laptops to rebuild.
I have to disagree on this. I have to take off a lot just to reach the cpu. On my son's Lenovo G555, I just opened the undercover and you have access to all the vitals.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 03:54 PM

I believe it is 2GB max memory, that is why I would not recommend Win 7. Right click on "My Computer" then to "Properties" it will tell you how much memory is installed. Or go to "Start">" Control Panel"> "System"

or

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:29 PM

since I posted: for a fact the dell can physically address 4G of memory (3.25g with the remainder utilized for video or ?)

Windows XP sp anything is a 32bit (x86) OS. There is a windows xp 64bit (x64) but it had 0 driver support.

Windows vista and up (windows 7) have both flavors x86 and x64. What that means is an x64 OS with an x64 processor will use both cores at the same time. An x86 OS can only use a single core. And yes it does (win 7) provide pretty much full driver support.

This is written on a E1705 Windows 7 x64 with the t7200 dual core 2GHz CPU. I have run it and several other of the earliest dual core laptops first running win 7 x86 and then running it win 7 x64 and benchmarking. Also the same for Macs. 9 out of 10 start and run better. If I remember it was the dell D630 that did not benefit. There was also a model that had the start button on the aft rh side a D8X0 series, looked like a modern netbook. Surprisingly it performed very well with the win 7.
Old June 4th, 2013, 05:07 AM

I am not going to get into a verbal confrontation in this forum. But you are mistaken when you say Windows XP 32 bit only supports single core processors. An x86 OS can only use a single core.

Windows XP Home edition 32 bit only supports a single processor which can have several CORES

Windows XP Professional supports more than two processors, theoretically you could have 2 quad-core processors.

A dual-core processor counts as a single processor as far as Windows see's it, therefore you can run a quad-core processor.

I will interested to see exactly how much memory the member really has. As if you go to Crucial.com it shows the following for the E1705 Inspiron Laptop;

Memory Type DDR2, PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Max Memory: 2GB
Slots 2

If you go to the DELL SITE kit also shows under specs:

Memory up to 2GB Dual Channel 667MHz DDR2 memory
Old June 4th, 2013, 03:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
I will interested to see exactly how much memory the member really has. As if you go to Crucial.com it shows the following for the E1705 Inspiron Laptop;
Here it is. I upgraded to 4gb after reading information from the manual. Strange why your source says 2gb...

Old June 4th, 2013, 06:51 PM

Really strange. OK I'm WRONG, I downloaded your manual HERE and yes it shows Max 4GB, why Crucial and other sites show just 2GB I don't know, obviously they are WRONG. Maybe because it is a MP061 which is the E1705 computer. I don't know.

However, it appears that only showing 2.06 available is wrong, it should be up to around 3.25GB, although your video is sharing memory so that may account for it. Plus under System information it is not showing how much memory the processes running are using.

If you right click on "My Computer" then go to "Properties" It should show you the memory.
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
However, it appears that only showing 2.06 available is wrong, it should be up to around 3.25GB, although your video is sharing memory so that may account for it. Plus under System information it is not showing how much memory the processes running are using.

If you right click on "My Computer" then go to "Properties" It should show you the memory.
This one Master?
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:56 AM

Ok, as you can see it is showing 3.24gb memory which is what Windows see's of the 4 GB installed. Which is correct.
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Ok, as you can see it is showing 3.24gb memory which is what Windows see's of the 4 GB installed. Which is correct.
So, I don't have any problems so far? Thanks!
Old June 5th, 2013, 04:27 PM

NOPE....Good to go.