Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM

DWL630 and W98SE

I had similar problems and finally removed Dlink software and installed the Boingo program. The network is good now. Dlink support wasn't real helpful. The only issue is that the 2 lights on the adapter are constantly flashing. They never stop. Also on reboot the error message says the adapter is not working correctly and needs to be reinstalled. If you go to the device manager and refresh it everything is good. I am using a Compaq Presario laptop with an AMD K6 266. I tried installing XP but it ran too slow.

Old March 14th, 2005, 04:24 PM

I must be too stupid to figure out Boingo. I can't get online with it and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Getting Tired of D-link

I'm about ready to take this DWL-G630 card back to the store. While I'm at it I think I'll take the DI-524 router back too even tho' it's working okay.

I've tried all the fixes suggested here and actually got my laptop online late last night using Boingo but then...I got an email from D-Link Tech Support that led me to this forum and the Iphlpapi.dll fix. Thinking that I'd rather use the Dlink S/W instead of a 3rd party S/W, I removed Boingo fixed the .dll and then found out I still couldn't get a connection to the network. I reinstalled Boingo but now it's messed up too. It is able to see and associate with the network but won't connect to it. I've deleted the Dlink S/W, released and renewed IP addresses... no luck.

If anyone, who understands this wifi stuff, has any ideas on what I might try next...please suggest something. But, do it quick because I'm close to calling it quits (until I spring for a new laptop at least).
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I take it you are also using windows 98se?
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM

i'm taking all this d link stuff back and trying for something that actually works with 98se
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:42 AM

yea OK I wish I could but I cant! They wont take it back for the reason of I lost the box. SO I need some help. I got it working until I restarted. I gotta figure out how to do this!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I need STEP BY STEP instructions on how to install boingo or whatever the heck it is. So if you could that would be great. Thanks.
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:46 AM

I'm stuck with mine too, I bought it off of ebay.

I'm concerned about securing my network now ... since I have no way to access anything. I'm not sure how to get Boingo to work either.

I'm beyond disgusted that DLINK won't FIX this but instead is sending people here or to Boingo. I will never buy another DLINK product.
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Exclamation This is what tech support told me

Hi, I just found this forum. I just got a D-Link DI-524 and DWL-630 along with the PCI card for my desktop. I previously tried the Netgear 614 and 511 but couldn't get them to talk to each other so I returned them. I'm not much of a techie, so it was probably me, but from reading forums, it sounds like maybe it wasn't.

Anyway, I thought you all might find this interesting. I called D-Link to find out if WPA will work with Win98SE (Belkin said only XP does). This is what they said: "We don't support encryption". What!!! "Encryption is an advanced feature and we don't support it". What if I had XP? "We don't support encryption". Can I use WEP with 98SE? "We don't support encryption".

Has anybody heard this one before? No matter that the boxes say they support both 98SE and WPA. "We don't support encryption".!!!!

After much back and forth, he offered to email me the links explaining how to set up WEP and WPA but "we don't support encryption".

I had WPA set up on the Netgear so this is probably why I couldn't get the laptop to connect. Now I find out that I need a 3rd-party supplicant too!

Sorry for the rant. I'm sure you've heard it all before. I guess I'll set it all up and try Boingo and/or T-Mobile and/or the DLL file. If it doesn't work I can always return it (thanks Circuit City) but what a scam! You practically need an MCSE to install this stuff! Or is it a ploy by Microsoft to force us all to become XP beta-testers, oops, I mean users.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:06 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone has offered with this problem. First time with wireless and we had to buy Dlink? It's works where we had the laptop upgraded, but no where else. Downloaded Boingo, did the download for the .dll file (the file Dlink sent me a link to) did not work. Finally realized that the file download mentioned in this forum is a different location, I tried that. Got a signal, got it working...until the next morning when we turned on the laptop...nothing!!! New problem..fatal errors!!!
Last night I removed Dlink, just left Boingo. Even at home, out in the country, I got a signal. Husband took it to work today and did not call me for help. That is a good sign.
Thanks to this chat....Thanks to Boingo...No thanks to Dlink. (got the same letter with the same bad information twice)
When I downloaded the .dll file I just did a normal download to win systems and told it to "overwrite" the file. Worked good and did not have to go into DOS.
Thanks to everyone and thank you for making it easy to do for a non-hardware person like me!
Old April 23rd, 2005, 06:25 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Hey galaxytoyz, wierd you should repost to this thread today as I was setting up a DLINK router and modem this morning for the kids.

COnsists of a DI-614+ wireless router and DSL-300G+ ADSL modem (yeah, I know they are only .11b, but it doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference as they are just internet sharing on a 2mbs ADSL line).

Strange thing is, it all went together like a dream AFTER I remembered the "setting up" pc has to be on the same subnet as the router (192.168.0.x). My, how I laughed!

Ran through all the updates etc and help pages to show my son what it was all about. We were directed to the UK site, and it was really useful. Just wonder (from all the posts) if it is just the stateside phone support that is rubbish. The FAQs were particularly good, as were the indepth manuals (as opposed to the quickstart guides) on the cd for the router.

To sum up, it's all still fresh in my mind, so if you are stuck, post back. The pages I used were found by going to www.support.dlink.com then inoutting the model number, then ollowing the link to the knowledge base.

Another good part of the site is if you go to the downloads section, select the link relating to "if your not from the Us click here" or similar and have a mosey round there.
Old April 25th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Talking

Everything is working great, with the Dlink software deleted and only using Boingo..no problem. Like someone above said, the lights blink differently. You have to clink the the "B" to find a connection, it won't connect on it's own. With our old laptop and the upgrade to Win 98SE, it take awhile for everything to boot. At least we can live with this until we get a new unit with built-in wireless.
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Encription with Boingo/ 98 SE

I had the same problem with DLL errors installing the D-link G630 into my dell latitude with Windows 98SE. My first call to D-link produced the usual "...reinstall, its a windows problem" response. My second call netted the advice to install the Boingo program instead of the D-link utility.

I did that and the laptop now connects to the wireless network provided that I don't use any encription/security. When I try to use 64 bit WEP encription Boingo is no longer able to connect to the network although it does ask for the passphrase.

I called D-link about this problem and they told me that security generally does not work with 98SE.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?
Old June 4th, 2005, 10:11 PM

Ok... I had the same problem. this is what I did: I MANUALLY updated the driver using the Device Manager and the D-Link OEM CD. I manually pointed to the CD drive (D:\drivers/driver for the correct driver and let it run the installation. It gave me an Error - NET5211.CAT can not be found on the CD. It is located in the D:\drivers. Re ran it from there and it asked for my Win 98 SE CD. Thats about it.
Old June 7th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Thumbs down In the middle of trying all these fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daethian
I'm stuck with mine too, I bought it off of ebay.

I'm concerned about securing my network now ... since I have no way to access anything. I'm not sure how to get Boingo to work either.

I'm beyond disgusted that DLINK won't FIX this but instead is sending people here or to Boingo. I will never buy another DLINK product.
I had the same experience: bought my kit at Amazon because it claimed to work with Win 98. I've tried installing the .dll file I got from DLink when I sent in a customer service request, which included a link to this site. I've never heard of a vendor sending someone to a cyberhelp site for a solution to problems their product is causing. I've just sent in another ticket to DLink for help, because the new .dll file hasn't worked yet. I'm very frustrated at this point. I haven't even tried to install the router yet because I'm hung up trying to make this *&^%$# card work! I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known it didn't work with Win 98!
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:42 PM

I had to register today just so I could share my experience with the DWL-G630.

I atempted to install the card in an ancient WinBook Si running Windows 98SE and had the same problems. Two different D-Link tech support people gave me the same advice others have gotten: the first guy had me download a new driver off the D-Link site, the second sent me to Boingo. Sound familiar? It's now June 26, 2005 and it looks like they've been aware that these fixes don't work since mid-2004, based on this forum's post dates. Nice guys, but bad info. Once I had boingo installed, I could sometimes communicate with the WAP but still got the error messages.

Many thanks to this forum, which I discovered from a Yahoo search. I first downloaded and installed the .dll update suggested by gowcher. I used the one he linked to (linked site said it was for Win98; there was another one for 98SE but I took gowcher's word for it and used the one he suggested) and that process went smoothly. Yep, as expected the D-Link software ran fine and recognized the wireless card, but couldn't connect with the D-Link software or Boingo.

I then took karlk123's suggestion and ran the ipconfig update. I was then able to get a conection, but the conection would abrubtly be lost after 30 seconds or so. I finally disabled Boingo and took it out of the startup folder...BINGO, it boots up, recognizes the card, gives me the icon in the tray, and connects...FLAWLESSLY!! Boingo and the D-Link software were apparently fighting over something.

Ummm...does anybody wonder why D-Link doesn't simply incorporate these two patches into a new install CD? I sure do...

I'm very pleased with the performance of the D-Link card and software in spite of their sloppy implementation, and am AMAZED by this site. Thanks, gowcher and karlk123!

Bookmarked!

Last edited by mineralsprings; June 26th, 2005 at 08:44 PM.