Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:03 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
How to run chkdsk/f/r on startup

Can anyone please tell me how to do this? I have had a few viruses and found running chkdsk cures the problems but sometimes they have prevented me running safe mode.defrag and also chkdsk.so if it could start each time I boot up this would be great

Old May 8th, 2005, 06:48 PM

This is the help I can give you.
After the puter has booted up to your desk top,R click My Comp.,L click Open,
R click Local Disk [c:], L click Properties, L click Tools.
I hope this maybe of some help?
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

Hello Icyber,

At the Command Prompt, type "chkdsk /f" and hit Enter. If it says the volume is in use, it will give an option to select y/n to run the check on restart. Type "y", hit Enter. This is supposed to run chkdsk for each subsesequent startup until disabled by cancelling the scan within the alotted time. However, on my 2K, for some reason this is a run once, and then the registry resets to normal startup (perhaps because I use FAT32). Might work for you.

As an aside, given the seriously excellent job the CTH experts do at the Cyber Safety forum, have you run a HijackThis log for them to review?

Hope this helped.
Tom

Last edited by Jintan; May 8th, 2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Icyber, I haven't heard of a virus where using chkdsk or defrag will fix it. (but I could be mistaken). Sounds more like the system isn't being shutdown correctly or you have a hardware problem. Follow Jintans advice and use hijackthis and have someone look over it. in the meantime if you still want to run chkdsk at startup go to the following registery key and replace "autocheck autochk*" with "/P \??\Volume:" (replace volume with the drive letter of the drive you wish to check) and don't use the quotes.

Hkey_local_machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\ BootExecute:REG_MULTI_SZ: autocheck autochk *

The defrag program supplied with win2k cannot be run from the command prompt. You can use a script file and the taskscheduler to run it at certain times within windows though.
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Jintan
My system is also a run once for chkdsk, I have to reset each time before shut down I will go to the safety forum as you suggest
lcyber
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:42 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi MaDef
My problem started before shut down, pages could not be closed,couldn,t run anything,I couldn,t shut down ,on restarting, safe mode wouldn,t work,I couldn,t go back to a previous good setting and only after many attempts could I access command prompt,this revealed that files had been removed and my D drive was no longer there.Chkdsk/f/r fixed this all.