Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:53 AM

Computer keeps rebooting

My computer began repeatedly rebooting itself without notice about two weeks ago. So I brought it in to the seller to see if they could fix it.

After testing the whole computer (including all the hardware), they tried several things: reinstalling Windows, replacing the power box. It didn't work, so I tried a few things myself (reformatting the disk, replacing the memory, deactivating the video drivers, and removing the fax modem), but this didn't work either - it still reboots. I had to bring the computer back to the seller for more testing.

Now the seller tell me that 3 parts are defective: the motherboard, the CPU and the RAM memory. They tell me that all three will have to be replaced to fix the computer.

My boyfriend feels that it is impossible that all three could become defective all at once. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it possible that all three could become defective at the same time?

Of course, the computer is no longer under warranty - so it basically means buying a new computer. (Sigh!) I'll do what I have to do, but I am suspicious that I am getting screwed.

About the computer: The OS is Windows XP. The computer is a Pentium 4, with 512MB DDR 226 MHZ RAM, and a 120 GB hard disk. I bought it less than two years ago, so it's not old. We had a surge protector powerbar in place. And we did have an up-to-date virus program. Reformatting the disk (which we did twice) should have removed any possible viruses that slipped through. (I think.)

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks so much.

Bessie

Old May 26th, 2005, 02:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Whoa bessie that sounds pretty bad to me. Howver this is the wrong forum for the post but not to fear! I will move this to the hardware forum so all the guys can take a stab at it for you. I may even jump in myself because I hate to see good people get ripped off. So welcome to CTH and sit tight we may be able to help you out.
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Look here.....it's not good news.
Same problem, you'll probably have the same result, since a format of the hard drive was done already (I thought the same thing...format = FIX)

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37630
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:50 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
"ImChance" She said she already formatted. Wonder if the Seller tested the three components on other Computers...
They better, Some may be lazy and just want money...
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Bessie depending on how much you know about computers you can try some things yourself but if not is there another computer place in your town? If so I would take one of the three things to them and have it tested. Say you take the RAM have them test it. That way you will know if the first place you took it was BS'ing you about the RAM being bad.
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

hi

let's hope it is as simple as I suspect it is.

a depleted battery on the motherboard can cause veery weird things, and when this started, I hope that possibility was checked.

you can check this yourself.
the machine is off...
then, switch off the surgeprotector so the machine has no power to mobo, and hit the on/off button couple times.

no switch on the surgeprotector strip, and hit ON button, and start tapping the key you need to go into BIOS.
check date and time, correct it if wrong (if wrong, it prolly means the battery is depleted...) (a CR2032 costs as little as three dollar?)

also check setting in BIOS relating to halt on all errors/keyboard only/... and set this to keyboard only

also check setting refresh configuration data, and allow a refresh.
save, and shut the computer off

shut strip off, hit on/off couple times, put power on again, hit button, enter BIOS, and again check date and time.
it should be what you set it to. (If it changed, get a CR2032... and replace that mobo battery with the strip switched off)

if battery is OK...
try to boot into safe mode windows, and let us hope that loads

once in safe mode, get to configurationscreen, and hit system properties icon
in system settings, go to advanced tab, and there you look for boot and repair options
set this so it does not reboot on error
(mine is also set to not send report to admin, but I do leave error logging enabled)

if you was able to do all that, then you can at least start finding out what causes the restarts.

other tips
memory testers can be run off a floppy you boot from

the powersupply was changed, I hope both connectors was plugged in
and I truly hope your system is not a DELL, since a standard powersupply don't work for a DELL

Last edited by jtdoom; May 26th, 2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:42 PM

oops, shoulda have read that post at pcgeeks first...
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:51 PM

disregard OOPS post, since you are not the problem poster there.

please let us know something about the hardware?
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:23 PM

Try a different power supply, im having similar problems, and places like best buy or circuit city are too dumb to check for that so they immediately begin replacing parts and draining your money.. not to mention replacing the mother board usually requires you buying a new case, depending on which computer you have. if the power supply you have isnt proprietary.. try to get someone to run a good one like an antec on it...butif it is, some computers wont let you boot up without their certain power supply they use... talk about lame
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:39 AM

"cHiNgY1788" I know she said that, which is why I replied how I did.
Which is also why I directed her to that other thread (of mine), as that is EXACTLY how my problem started, and the SAME responses to what might be "bad", and in need of replacement.

Either way, good luck.