Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Macintosh, iPhone and iPad

Notices

Topic Tools
Old June 27th, 2002, 07:04 PM

Question Built-in memory test and cache memory problem

I am assisting a PB user (via e-mail) who is getting the following message at startup:
"The built-in memory test has detected a problem with cache memory. Please contact a service technician for assistance."

I have the following info on her Mac:
PB G3, 400mhz, Machine ID = 406, OS 8.6, disk cache 6MB, VM is off, 192MB RAM (64MB bottom, 128MB top), 8MB video RAM, no external L2 cache.

Have tried:
1. Turning VM on/off.
2. Setting cache memory to lowest possible in Memory Control panel.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated. There are no nearby Apple Certified technicians in this part of rural Colorado.

Old June 27th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Grand Junction, eh. Hope the fires aren't getting too close on the western slope. I grew up in Colorado.

Anyway.... back on topic. If the cache memory is reporting an error I can think of few things to try.

#1) Zap the PRAM - hold down P-R-command-option on boot. Keep it held down until you hear the Mac startup chime 4 times, then let go. The Mac should continue to boot. If the error still occurs......

#2) Check the RAM. A bad RAM stick may be the cause. If there is more than one RAM stick installed power down, remove all but one stick and startup. if the error occurs... shut down, swap the RAM stick and boot again. Do this for all installed RAM sticks. If the error does not appear with a particular piece of RAM then your culprit is bad RAM. If there is only one RAM stick instlled, there is really no other way to test this.

#3) Boot from an OS CD. Insert an OS CD into the CD drive and restart the Mac. Hold down the C key while the mac boots up. If when booting from the OS CD the error does not appear, then the system is hosed and a clean install is in order. I can give a how to if necessary. If the error still presents itself when booting from the OS CD...

#4) It's a hardware issue and something is wrong with the motherboard or other component and no amount of software troubleshooting will help. A service tech is needed. Call Apple.
Old June 27th, 2002, 10:50 PM

Buzz,
MacMarko could try to get his/her friend a dimm checker of some sort app.
Dimm first aid for example or dimm checker (which are basically the same).

Then again that is relying on a third party checker instead of the hands-on bullet proof method.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:53 AM

memory cache error

i am having the exact somae problem - I am getting a memeory cache error when I boot up, and I am not able to install any other new operating system (I tried 9.2 and 10). to the first poster here, how did you end up fixing ythe problem?
thanks,
jaime
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:40 PM

memory cache error

well it's a year from the last posting on this topic and now I'm having this problem too. Any help out there??
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
All the original information in my first post in this thread still holds true.
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:03 PM

I developed this problem on an otherwise trouble-free G3 laptop. I took it to my very dependable repair shop, and was told that this is a processor problem which will cost more to fix than buying a whole new computer. Bummer.