Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Topic Tools
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:53 PM

only seeing "PPPoE send PADI" in router security log

Hi experts,
Please kindly help me out !

I suddenly lost my internet connection last night. Now the problem is that I cannot go online. I have a SMC 11mps wireless router and the status of Cable/DSL in the Status page is showing as : DISCONNECTED. I tried clicking on the "Connect" button but it doesn't work.

From the Security Log, I see the following:
08:18:07 PPPoE send PADI
08:18:02 PPPoE send PADI
08:17:57 PPPoE send PADI
08:17:52 PPPoE send PADI
08:17:52 Dial On Demand (PPPoE)

I am certain that I am using the correct username and password for my ISP (SBC Yahoo!). Based on the security log, it seems like the router cannot even reach a point to attempt to try the given username and password. Also, the All the lights on the router are normal: Power, WLAN, and WAN lights are all solid green. I am also able to connect to the computers in my local network without any problem. Each computer in the network has been assigned an IP address, as well.

I have tried my usual tricks to reset/restart the router; turned off and on the cable modem; unplug the necessary cables and re-plug in the cables with no luck......

Please kindly advise.... I really appreciate for your help since I really need to have internet connection at home for my school work.

Thanks a million!
Raymond

Old September 29th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Even though the WAN light is green, it still sounds like a service problem. Have you contacted your ISP?
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:05 AM

Yes, I called my ISP (SBC) last night, but I was told that there wasn't any network problem in my area. We ran through some test, including getting rid of the router and just connect the cable modem to one of my computers. However, that didn't work even if we created a simple new connection with PPPoE setting (username and password). So I was told that there was a line problem (?), and they promised to have someone to check my line. But the time has passed and the line has been checked but the problem still persists.

I tried logging into my email using the username and password and it works fine. So I don't think it's related to username and password. And also the security log makes me suspect that something is wrong with my router, since i keep seeing "PPPoE send PADI" and this process is repeating again and again.

Please shed some light..

Big Thanks!

Ray
Old September 30th, 2005, 03:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
We ran through some test, including getting rid of the router and just connect the cable modem to one of my computers
You have a cable connection and use PPPoE?
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
xrayion,

If it doesn't work without the router, why do you think its the router? The "PPPoE send PADI" is attempt to logon, it can't. This sounds like it is consistent with what you see when connecting directly with your PC.

You said the tech was out, what did he check?