Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:17 AM

Thumbs down I need help performing a destructive recovery!!! :(

Hi. Im new to this forum (my name is Jonathan BTW) and I have a serious problem. I want to perform a destructive recovery on my computer and everytime I hit the F10 button during the boot-up process, I get a white bar at the bottom of my screen that loads the process and then I get this message with a blue backgroud:

Stop:c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemroot\system32\config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate
it is corrupt, absent, or not writable

WHAT DO I DO???

PLEASE HELP. Im in a real hurry to erase my hard drive and I don't know how to fix this problem. I heard form my friend that you guys were the right people to ask about these things...

THANK YOU ALL FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS....

I APPRECIATE IT!!!

Old October 25th, 2005, 03:20 AM

solution

Restart your PC

2/ Keep tapping the F8 Button until a menu appears

3/ When the menu appears use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to select the ‘Last known good configuration’ option.

4/ Once selected press Enter

5/ Your PC should now reinstall the ‘last know good configuration file’

6/ Restart your PC and see if the problem has been solved

7/ If it hasn’t go on to the Harder Method below.

if that doesnt work i know waht else u can do

Old October 25th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Quote:
WHAT DO I DO???

PLEASE HELP. Im in a real hurry to erase my hard drive and I don't know how to fix this problem. I heard form my friend that you guys were the right people to ask about these things...
One word - Thermite. Works wonders on hard drives.
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:45 AM

Unhappy

I just want to make my computer like brand new. I just want to erase everything and make it easy to do...

I tired the method of using F8. It didn't work...

Do you think its just wiser to order another recovery disk?

-Jon

P.S. I do want a destructive recovery right? Thats whats used to erase everything but make the computer new again isnt it?
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:01 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Reboot the computer and start tapping the DELETE key or what ever key the screen tells you to use to get into SETUP.

Once in setup find a menu item that you can set the boot sequence and change the boot sequence so that the CDROM is the first device. Now SAVE & EXIT, Put the recovery CD in and reboot the computer. It should boot from the CD follow the on screen instructions.
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf
Reboot the computer and start tapping the DELETE key or what ever key the screen tells you to use to get into SETUP.

Once in setup find a menu item that you can set the boot sequence and change the boot sequence so that the CDROM is the first device. Now SAVE & EXIT, Put the recovery CD in and reboot the computer. It should boot from the CD follow the on screen instructions.

Thats just it though. My system has a partioning system where its built in and requires no resotre CD. It has the option of one, but then I would need to order one and I don't have any idea how much that could cost....
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:05 AM

does anyone have a copy of the toshiba a70/a75 recovery disc? I lost mine at school and i really need one since my computer started having startup errors
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger727
does anyone have a copy of the toshiba a70/a75 recovery disc? I lost mine at school and i really need one since my computer started having startup errors

??? Dude come on, I got a serious problem here. Start a new topic. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?!
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:04 AM

HI Jonothan

I might not be able to help very much, but I have done 11 System Recovery in the last 10 months. It is my understanding that if your PC has a corrupted hard disk (OS is corrupt) then you must do the Destructive Full System Recovery, which is what you are trying to do anyway.

If you do not have your original OS CD, nor Recovery CD that supposedly shipped with the PC...you are probably gonna have to spend a little cash.

On my PC, I start tapping F-10 the minute the Manufacturing Logo apprears, before the Desktop appears. It takes me to the Recovery/Restore/Repair. Then it goes through the Reformatting/Erasing the Hard Drive. You say that is where yours stops.

I don't believe you will be able to Recover the OS system from inside Windows in that case. You will definitely need a CD.

If you buy the full version Win XP Home OS, it will be around $200 from Electronic Store or Office Supply (or from Circuit City, Target, etc.)
The Win XP Home Updgrade is $99. Now this is asuming you are running the Home Edition instead of Pro.

So you can go to EBay and buy the same thing for about $75 or $80 + shipping. The Upgrade is only $20 to $30 + shipping. You can place your order, and not necessarily have to place a bid, but just click on "Buy Now".
Each seller has a different profile about method of payment and shipping. Most can guarantee delivery in 3 days or less if use Priority Mailing.

I know that doesn't help you right now...but it seems to be your only option if you can't use the Recovery from within Windows.

I didn't check prices on XP Pro Edition but it is lots more than the Home Edition and takes a chunk of your resources to install it on your system.

I'm having to buy my OS off EBay myself..my OS from HP is most definitely corrupt and over-loaded with HP crap.

One word of advice: Make absolutely sure you don't buy a "boot-leg" CD. Insist that it has never been opened and in original packaging. You will not be able to run a "boot-leg" copy but for maybe a few weeks. None of your Windows Updates will be available for download and install, and your System will stop functioning.

The other poster that wanted to borrow a toshiba recovery cd, and you were so indignant...Now I thought I was Puter Illiterate, but need I say more?

Good luck with your recovery. The others in this group are really good and they will help you lots more than I can!
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofx21
Thats just it though. My system has a partioning system where its built in and requires no resotre CD. It has the option of one, but then I would need to order one and I don't have any idea how much that could cost....
Mine is like that also but I am able to make the restore disks thru that partition. Thats why hp didn't send me any. I made the restore disks (8) and use them to reinstall to store bought condition.

Are you able to do this with yours?
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:26 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
WHAT DO I DO???

PLEASE HELP. Im in a real hurry to erase my hard drive and I don't know how to fix this problem. I heard form my friend that you guys were the right people to ask about these things!!!!!!

You don't say what PC you have , or what system??

I had a similar problem where I ended up almost throwing out my PC, but as it's an IBM, I got onto their support site and discovered that I could download a program called "PC Doc" which I transferred to a simple floppy, and ran from start up.
It runs a variety of diagnostic tests, but finally gives the option of erasing the Hard Drive!!! so I hit the ok key and after approx 30mins I had a clean drive.
Luckily I had an original XP cd from another PC, which I stuck in, and away it went and loaded up like a dream!
Now I'm not sure if this will work on anything other than an IBM!! but this PCDoc program could be available for other makes also and it might be worth asking the question for the support site for your make of PC.
Best of luck with it!
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:41 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
OEM manufacturers alot different keys to get into the recovery console, Packard Bell /NEC it needs to be F5 or F8 for advanced its F11 for recovery console, best option is go to the manufacturers website and download a boot disk this should take you straight into recovery.
Old October 25th, 2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorlander
OEM manufacturers alot different keys to get into the recovery console, Packard Bell /NEC it needs to be F5 or F8 for advanced its F11 for recovery console, best option is go to the manufacturers website and download a boot disk this should take you straight into recovery.

Really? I could just DOWNLOAD a boot disk? For free?

I have a HP Pavillion 753n that runs on Windows XP Home btw.

Ill go check if I can go get a boot disk and then Ill be back with details later...

THANK YOU ALL BTW!!!
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:07 AM

I couldn't find where to download the boot disk. Could someone send me a direct link to the site or download page?
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:22 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Boot Disk can be gotten HERE:
Closed Topic