Tutorials | How to create a Windows 2000 Emergency Repair Disk
You should get into the good habit of updating your Emergency Repair Disk whenever you install a new program, also when you change some important Windows settings.
To create an Emergency Repair Disk follow these steps :
- Click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup
- Insert a blank formatted floppy disk in your floppy drive
- Click on the Emergency Repair Disk button
- You will then be asked if you'd like to "Also backup registry to the repair directory. Tick the box to select this and hit OK.
- Once the Emergency Repair Disk has been created you should get the following message
How to use your Emergency Repair Disk
To use your Emergency Repair Disk you will need to boot your computer with the 4 startup disks that came with Windows 2000.
* If you don't have these 4 disks because you have an OEM version or an upgrade version of Windows 2000 you can create them by running /bootdisk/makeboot.exe which you can find on your Windows 2000 Installation CD.
Once Windows 2000 has booted off the 4 Windows 2000 startup disks you will have the options of Install or Repair.
Select Repair. Follow the instructions it gives you and you will be asked for your Emergency Repair Disk.
Please Note: if you have any questions about this tutorial please ask on our support forums
If you have written a tutorial of your own and would like to have it here on Cyber Tech Help all you have to do is Submit your tutorial and it will be reviewed by the Administrator.