PDA

View Full Version : System Won't Boot Up !!!!

ImTznU62
March 17th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Okay, lets see where to begin <and try to give you as much possible info from the start> I have an older PC I have 1st harddrive 4megs partitioned into 2 drives labeled C: and D: Then a second hardrive 20 megs partitioned into 10 drives E: thru N: and leaving my CDROM as O:
Anyway... I received system resources low message so as usual I tryed to shut down right away... of course it would not shut down even using Ctrl Alt Del so I had to do a hard shut down <using power button> and then turned it back on. After turning back on it goes through its normal stuff memory test... loaded cd rom etc.. to system config and then to PC device listing and then goes down to where it says "BOOT LOADER INITIALIZING..." and STOPS will not go any further. So I then tryed to boot with a windows 95 disk <my op sys is win 95> with this I get as far as windows 95 starting and then to my A: prompt. From there when I enter in C: I get invalid drive specification message. So I also tryed to via F8 go into safe mode. It WONT enter safe mode but still sends me back to my A: prompt.
So I then used my windows 98 boot disk <which have used before and KNOW is good one> With that after getting A: prompt I did a sys and then I also ran my scandisk and chkdisk on C: it goes fast and comes out clean. I then do a C: from my A: prompt and it switched to C: but then when I did a C:\dir It only shows what appears to be the same basic files that are lets say on a boot disk <15 files> Now keep in mind I have in no way deleted anything or overwritten anything... nor done any formating. Grrrrrrrr I am now at a loss as to what to do. Maybe my harddrive is shot? I really am not sure of how I can ck to see what the problem is. I appreciate very much your time and any expertise on this problem!!
Thank you Debbie :eek:

Dodge
March 17th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Hi Welcome to Cybertech.

When you are at the A: prompt type fdisk Then choose number 4 to view the partitions. Is everything correct in there?

After you check that, hit the ESC key until you get back to the A: Prompt. Type sys c: or sys a: c:

This will copy the files to the Hard drive needed for Windows to boot. Then take your Floppy out and Reboot the PC. See if you get anything.

[ 16 March 2002: Message edited by: Dodge ]

ImTznU62
March 17th, 2002, 11:25 AM
well..... hmmm I am so sorry to be such a royal pain in the bum lol and feel like a bit of an idiot right now, but no that doesn't seem to work. Infact I had already done that basically. Two things here... one when I boot up with my win95 disk I can not ever get to my c drive.... but that disk contains the sys file ... now when i boot up to with my win98 disk I can get to a c: drive although when do a dir on it , it shows only 15 files LOL ! which are the same 15 <I think not sure> that were copied there when i then take out the 98 boot disk replace it with the 95 boot disk do a dir and the sys,com is there so I then can copy that to my c: but there is no sys.com file on my 98 boot disk! Grrrrrrrr I know this all gets so complicated! And Ya know what I am fairly literate LOL so truely if anyone out there is willing to trust me with calling them I would in heart beat do so <not worried about the LD > but I know often times easier to help one on one first hand! Just email me with willingness and or number @ IMTZNU@aol.com and I will call! LOL thanks so much!

smurfy
March 17th, 2002, 12:05 PM
After turning back on it goes through its normal stuff memory test... loaded cd rom etc.. to system config and then to PC device listing and then goes down to where it says "BOOT LOADER INITIALIZING..."
Does it show the hard drives?
Enter your BIOS setup and make sure your drives are still enabled.

What sort of Drive partitioning software did you use? Chances are, your BIOS does not support the 20(Gig) drive and required a BIOS overlay (similar to EZ-BIOS) to force it to recognise the drives. That overlay is not initialising (it will be loaded in the boot sector) possibly because the drives have been disabled in BIOS.

Explanation of the bootdisk problems - what you are seeing as C drive is the RAMDRIVE created by the bootdisk. Normally this would be O drive and your CDRom would become P drive IF YOUR HARD DRIVES were being recognised.

ImTznU62
March 17th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Okay under system config after turning cpu on it says
A 144m 3.5
B None
Primary Master LBA,Mode4,3860 mb
primary slave CDROm mode3

PCI Device listing
bus 0
device 7
function 1
vendor ID 1106
device ID 0571
device class IDE Controller
IRQ 14

Boot loader Initializing...
<this is where it stops>

Now as far as going into BIOS it appears to me that all is enable properly, but If possible you might want to be more specific as to what to look for. LOL Because there are many different places I see info on hard drives and different types. for instance Power Management area is mostly disabled stuff.

And yes you are right about my 20 gig hard drive wich is only used to hold data I used western digital cd to partition it.

As for the first hard drive which has 2 partitions C: and D: C: containing my Windows folder, that one I did not partition, the computer store who put it in for me did that about 4 years ago. <I know its old>

And also yes your exactly right about what is now showing as my C: drive it is what the boot disk created.

I will just in brief give you the message I receive because I am sure you are familiar with it...

Windows detected that C does not contain valid Fat or Fat32 partition, different causes for this are....
1. drive needs partitioned
2. third party disk
3. sometimes c not recognized due to a virus

then it says...
The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive c:

Also keep in mind... My system has been running like this fine with both hard drives etc... for about 1 1/2 years. And I haven't done any changes etc... which is why I wondered also if it could be that my main hard drive the one with 4 gigs maybe just up and went bad.

Again thank you for all your time and assistance!! Debbie

smurfy
March 19th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Western Digital's CD should have a setup utility that you can use to recover the "boot loader".

Your BIOS was obviously too old to recognise the 20Gig drive and the WD utility has overlaid the BIOS with it's own setup which means that NO drives are recognised until it loads up.

Boot up with the bootdisk, change to the CD-Rom (will be D: ) and find the "readme" or setup files.

**edit to remove accidental :) Graemlin

[ 19 March 2002: Message edited by: smurfy ]

ImTznU62
March 19th, 2002, 11:28 AM
OMG!! YOU* are truely and angel!!! Whoohoooo <am sooo excited> LOL! It worked like a charm! Thank YOU Sooooo much!!!!!!

Debbie xoxoxox :D